Public prosecutors have launched an investigation into claims that New Taipei City firefighters have been taking bribes from funeral service proprietors.
Two firefighters were denied bail and put in judicial detention on Friday, while six others were questioned and later released on bail ranging from NT$50,000 to NT$300,000 (US$1,597 to US$9,583), the New Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office said
In Taiwan, ambulance services transporting people to hospital experiencing cardiac arrest, life-threatening situations or serious injuries are handled by local fire department stations, as firefighters are front-line workers in medical emergencies alongside their responsibilities in fighting fires.
Photo: Wang Ting-chuan, Taipei Times
Tip-offs claimed that some firefighters and police officers obtained the personal information — including the names, telephone numbers and home addresses — of families whose family members had just experienced a medical emergency, passing on this personal information to proprietors in the funeral service industry, such as traditional Taoist or Buddhist organizations, and designated practitioners that conduct ritualized ceremonies.
New Taipei City prosecutors and the Ministry of Justice’s Agency Against Corruption conducted a preliminary investigation after receiving the tipoffs last year, before carrying out raids in three phases starting last month.
The raids took place at fire stations in New Taipei City Fire Department’s Second Corps Office in Sinjhuang (新莊), Shulin (樹林) and Taishan (泰山) districts, questioning firefighter officers on suspicion of taking bribes — contravening the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例), as firefighters are government-sector employees and could be charged with corruption.
Firefighters Chen Cheng-hui (陳晟輝) and Chang Yu-che (張育哲) were detained on restricted communication after questioning on Friday.
Agency Against Corruption officials said that the firefighters leaked the private information of affected families to funeral service proprietors in return for NT$5,000 to NT$15,000 per case. Some were suspected of having received more than NT$200,000 over the years.
The investigation found that some firefighters had obtained the name and contact information of patients or those who passed away, and allegedly passed the information via Line or other messaging platforms to funeral proprietors, for the funeral service firms to immediately dispatch their staff to the scene or home address to promote their funeral services.
Prosecutors alleged that the firefighters would immediately receive NT$5,000 as a commission if a funeral home had signed an agreement with the family, and others involved in the process would also receive NT$2,000.
Ministry of the Interior data from 2017 showed that regular funeral services cost about NT$250,000 to NT$400,000. Low-income families who cannot afford it can apply for a state subsidy of NT$23,000 for a funeral at their local government’s social affairs department on presentation of an official death certificate.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty