Shooting down all Chinese balloons flying over Taiwan would be a waste of ammunition and “exactly what China wants,” a senior defense official said yesterday.
Colonel Wang Chia-chun (王家駿), deputy head of the Ministry of National Defense’s joint operations planning section, said that the military would not shoot down the balloons, which have been entering Taiwanese airspace daily since the beginning of the year, calling it a waste of ammo and the exact response Beijing is seeking.
During a regular ministry news briefing, he said that the military’s standard response is to issue alerts and closely monitor the balloons’ movements, particularly if they fly near more densely populated areas.
Photo: Wu Su-wei, Taipei Times
The military would also watch for any balloon debris in Taiwan, he added.
The daily dispatching of balloons toward Taiwan is part of China’s “gray zone” tactics in the lead-up to Saturday’s legislative and presidential elections to “harass and rattle Taiwanese,” the ministry said.
It urged the public to remain calm in the face of China’s cognitive warfare attempts and not to be influenced by them.
The armed forces have so far this year not detected any debris from Chinese balloons, ministry intelligence officer Colonel Huang Ming-chieh (黃明傑) said.
Although Huang did not say if the ministry believes the balloons are intended for espionage purposes, he said that all military units were ready to deploy anti-espionage measures, without elaborating.
The military would respond differently if the balloons are believed to have the potential to cause damage in Taiwan, ministry spokesman Sun Li-fang (孫立方) said, without elaborating.
The military has generally assessed the balloons as being used for meteorological purposes, a conclusion drawn in part from its investigation of debris found in February last year around Lienchiang County’s Dongyin Island (東引).
The ministry last year said that similar equipment has been regularly detected in the air and sea around Taiwan, most often between December and February, because seasonal winds bring the balloons closer to Taiwan.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as