People working in industries that would be most negatively impacted by the government’s net zero carbon emissions policy have an insufficient understanding of what the target is and what its effects are likely to be, a survey published on Wednesday showed.
The Survey on Awareness of Just Transition of High-carbon Industries in Taiwan, published for the second year by National Taiwan University’s Risk Society and Policy Research Center, found that 49.8 percent of respondents said they had little understanding of the government’s net zero policies.
Although that figure is still high, it marks a substantial decrease from last year’s 81.2 percent, center director Chou Kuei-tien (周桂田) told a news conference in Taipei to introduce the report’s findings.
Photo: Liao Chia-ning, Taipei Times
The center surveyed 521 employees, managers and executives working in carbon-intensive industries from October to last month.
The survey showed that 46.8 percent of respondents were worried about the burden of decarbonization on them personally, for example, increased costs being passed on, Chou said, adding that the figure was down from 57.7 percent in last year’s survey.
Young and female employees were the most concerned, he said.
The government should enhance community participation to deepen a “just transition consciousness” and build a strong social foundation for when net zero transition policies are implemented, he said.
Most respondents said that funds collected through carbon fees — scheduled to be collected from 2025 — should be used to boost employment by helping small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and workers acquire skills needed for success in low-carbon industries, the survey showed.
It showed that 89.9 percent agreed SMEs should be consulted before net zero policies are implemented, while 77.5 percent said the government, companies and employees should have three-way meetings to develop ways to help manage the fallout from the policies.
Chou said that carbon fees should be made a “carbon tax,” as the former is more restrictive.
Article 33 of the Climate Change Response Act (氣候變遷因應法) says that the fees could be used to “assist the central competent agency to execute a just transition” among a list of 13 purposes.
“A carbon tax, administered by the Ministry of Finance, could potentially have a much wider scope of use, as it would be collected by the central government,” Chou said.
David Walther (王瑞庚), program manager at Academia Sinica’s Center for Sustainability Science, said that communication and assistance need to be in place early and be available to all who would be affected to avoid large protests.
Walther also highlighted the importance of an Executive Yuan-led oversight mechanism, instead of each ministry having to cope with net zero issues alone, “such as the Ministry of Agriculture regarding solar power and the Ministry of the Interior regarding national land.”
Following this logic, the Ministry of Labor and the Ministry of Welfare and Health are yet to be affected by net zero issues and so have not made any moves, he said.
A Cabinet-level directive needs to be issued to coordinate a comprehensive roadmap encompassing every ministry, especially the Ministry of Digital Affairs, which needs to develop “digital sustainability,” he added.
Youth Labor Union 95 director Ray Cheng (鄭中睿) said that the Ministry of Education needs to take a more active role in helping the public prepare for a green transition.
There is a complete lack of human resource planning in the net zero roadmap that the National Development Council released last year, Cheng said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated