As several local governments including Taipei on Friday conditionally lifted a ban on using liquid eggs in school lunches, Taipei City Councilor Yan Juo-fang (顏若芳) yesterday urged the Taipei City Government to apologize to the public and the liquid egg companies affected by the policy.
Due to controversies over the quality and labeling of government-funded imported eggs earlier this year, the local governments, led by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), banned the use of liquid eggs as an ingredient in school lunches in September.
The governments of Taipei, New Taipei City, Taoyuan, Keelung and Taichung on Friday announced they would conditionally lift the ban tomorrow, but the liquid eggs are required to have a Certified Agricultural Standard (CAS) label.
Photo: Taipei Times file
Yan yesterday posted on her Facebook page that the Taipei City Government should apologize to the public for the food scare and to the law-abiding liquid egg companies that have been affected by its policy, after online commentator Lin Yu-hong (林裕紘) and a former KMT staffer associated with the egg scare were indicted on Friday.
Online commentator Lin, who goes by “Lin Bay Hao You” (Lin Bay好油) on Facebook, had written articles criticizing the central government’s agricultural policies, including egg import controversies earlier this year, but he later admitted faking the death threats over his criticism.
Yen said the central government on Oct. 25 urged the local governments to lift the ban on liquid eggs in school lunches, promising the liquid eggs would be safe because the use of domestic eggs is a requirement for school lunches, but the local governments still insisted on the ban.
After the harm has been inflicted, now the city government suddenly said it has asked the Food and Drug Administration to provide its liquid egg labeling inspection result and confirmed that the manufacturing process and labeling have met the requirements, she said, asking why it took the city government so long to confirm it.
Yen questioned whether the city government was cooperating with the smear campaign toward the Democratic Progressive Party-led central government so it would not lift the ban.
She demanded that the city government apologize for sowing public panic.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as