The Taichung District Prosecutors’ Office on Tuesday said that it had opened a probe into allegations that Beijing is buying off borough wardens with trips to China ahead of next month’s presidential and legislative elections.
The investigation revolves around six people who might have contravened the Public Officials Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法) and Anti-Infiltration Act (反滲透法), the office said, adding that police were tasked with the probe.
A group mainly composed of wardens and people active in local politics are under investigation, it said.
Photo: Chen Chien-chi, Taipei Times
China has been targeting wardens and other community-level officials in central Taiwan with tour deals in an attempt to interfere with the upcoming elections, sources said.
The group tours cost NT$13,000 to NT$15,000 per person, but Chinese officials shoulder a generous portion of that, sometimes paying almost in full, Taichung wardens said.
Multiple wardens in Taichung’s Tanzih (潭子) and Fongyuan (豐原) districts received suspicious calls from self-claimed Taiwanese entrepreneurs about group tours to China, they said.
Most wardens in the region were reluctant to break the law and too busy with campigning to attend such tours, they said.
Meanwhile, a score of teachers and principals from public schools in Keelung visited China’s Shandong Province on a five-day tour group that might also be funded by China, TV channel SETN reported on Tuesday, citing a leaked itinerary.
Members of the 10-day tour paid NT$9,000 per person — an unusually low price, it said.
Keelung City Councilor Jiho Chang (張之豪), of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), expressed concern over China’s infiltration of schools, adding that the cheapness of the trip raises red flags.
Separately, the Ciaotou District Prosecutors’ Office in Kaohsiung yesterday said it was investigating five people over accusations they had arranged free trips to China for dozens of voters in a bid to “influence” next month’s elections.
They allegedly arranged trips to China’s Hunan Province last month for 60 people from Kaohsiung and Taitung County and offered "benefits,” including free meals, accommodation and transportation, it said.
In return, they “asked for their support for candidates from certain political parties and with specific political leanings in an attempt to influence voters’ intentions and the election results,” the prosecutors said.
Additional reporting by Ou Su-mei,
Chang Hsuan-che, Lu Hsien-Hsiu, and AFP
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty