Public Television Service (PTS), Chinese Television System (CTS) and Broadcasting Corp of China (BCC) have all pledged to produce objective, fair and thorough news coverage of campaigns for next month’s presidential and legislative elections in accordance with government regulations, despite some people with top positions at the networks being candidates, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday.
BCC chairman and general manager Jaw Shaw-kong (趙少康) has registered as the Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) vice presidential candidate, while PTS board director Karen Hsu (徐瑞希) has been nominated as a legislator-at-large by the Taiwan People’s Party. Hsu also oversees CTS on behalf of PTS.
The commission on Wednesday last week contacted the three networks, asking them to explain within a week how they plan to abide by the Presidential and Vice Presidential Election and Recall Act (總統副總統選舉罷免法), the Public Officials Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法) and the Enforcement Rules of the Radio and Television Act (廣播電視法施行細則), and ensure that they treat all political parties and their candidates equally.
Photo: Chen Hsin-yu, Taipei Times
The commission said it had received official responses from all three by yesterday afternoon.
“They said they would obey laws and are committed to producing news about the elections in an objective, accurate, fair and just manner,” the commission said.
The BCC said that it would keep the pledges it had made on June 25, 2007, to the commission and ensure that its news coverage is not influenced by the government, political parties or the military, the NCC said.
The BCC’s news department does not take instructions from its management, nor has management interfered in the news department’s operations, it said.
Jaw’s positions at the BCC have been temporarily assumed by BCC board trustee Chen Sheng-yi (陳聖一), while PTS and CTS said that Hsu resigned from its board on Friday last week, the commission said.
Separately, broadcast media and cable systems might soon be asked by major shareholders to report any share transactions following proposed amendments to broadcasting laws, the NCC said.
The issue came under scrutiny after three of Homeplus Digital’s major shareholders sold their shares — nearly 50 percent of all shares — to Sanlih Entertainment Television (SET TV) chairman Chang Rong-hua (張榮華).
Homeplus failed to abide by one of the pledges it made in 2018 when the commission approved the sale of the multiple system operator to its current management, which bans its shareholders from operating news channels, the NCC said.
Homeplus was given one year to rectify the situation, it said.
The NCC is still deliberating the penalties for SET TV and Homeplus, NCC Vice Chairman Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said.
The commission would propose two main bills next year, including an Internet audiovisual service draft act, as well as amendments to the Radio and Television Act (廣播電視法), the Satellite Broadcasting Act (衛星廣播電視法) and the Cable Radio and Television Act (有線廣播電視法), Wong said.
The amendments would ensure that regulations are consistent with one another, he said.
For example, “although the Satellite Broadcasting Act requires cable news channels to verify facts before airing programs, the Radio and Television Act does not require terrestrial news channels to abide by the same requirement,” he said.
“To address controversies involving Homeplus, our legal experts are to study whether transparency in the shareholding structure should be listed as an important requirement for cable system operators in the Cable Radio and Television Act,” Wong said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as