A call to publicize the review process for drugs being considered for National Health Insurance (NHI) coverage needs to be discussed further, the National Health Insurance Administration (NHIA) said yesterday, adding that it has five strategies to speed up reviews.
Three patient support groups on Monday called on the NHIA to ensure transparency and traceability in new drug reviews, as it would enable people with cancer, rare diseases or other illnesses who are waiting for new drugs to make more informed decisions.
The NHIA yesterday said it recognizes the groups’ call, and plans to digitize the NHI drug review process next year, enabling drug firms to keep track of the schedule and progress of reviews.
Photo: Lin Hui-chin, Taipei Times
However, as making the information available to the public could affect drug companies’ rights and interests, the NHIA would invite representatives from drug firms and patient support groups to discuss the issue, it said.
The NHIA said it is committed to speeding up the review process for new drugs or treatments to be covered by the NHI, adding that 31 types of new drugs — including 11 cancer drugs, one for a rare disease and 12 others — have been added to the NHI system this year, while six are waiting to be announced.
The number of new drugs added to NHI coverage this year is up 82 percent from last year, and is expected to benefit about 220,000 people, it said, adding that newly included cancer drugs would help each patient save about NT$3.51 million (US$111,453) per year.
The NHIA said it has five strategies to speed up reviews.
One is “implementing an interim payment system,” or temporarily covering certain drugs that have not completed their phase 3 clinical trials, but are urgently needed in clinical practice, it said.
Other strategies are “establishing a national health policy and medical technology evaluation center” as a specialized agency that would handle medical technology and new drug reviews, and “implementing a parallel review mechanism” next year so that drug firms can apply for the Food and Drug Administration’s drug permit and NHI coverage review at the same time, it said.
The final two strategies are “expanding the budget for new drugs” — the NHIA has allocated up to NT$7.094 billion for new drug and technology and interim payment next year, almost twice as much as this year’s budget — and “setting up a new cancer drug fund” that is separate from the NHI’s overall budget, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as