Borough wardens participating in trips partly funded by Beijing would only have contravened a ban on group tours to China if they had used travel agencies to organize the tours, Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) said yesterday.
Wang made remarks after the Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) yesterday reported that nearly 30 percent of 456 Taipei borough wardens participated in group tours to China partly funded by the Chinese government.
National security officials have said Beijing is using these tours to interfere in next month’s presidential and legislative elections.
Photo: CNA
“It is not the Ministry of Transportation and Communications’ responsibility to determine whether the Chinese Communist Party has used these tours to influence the outcome of Taiwan’s elections. However, as the current policy bans group travel to China, any borough warden would have contravened the ban if they had asked travel agencies to arrange tours for them,” Wang told reporters before attending a meeting of the Legislative Yuan’s Transportation Committee.
The Tourism Administration would investigate whether travel agencies had contravened the ban, Wang said.
However, the government does not ban individuals from traveling to China, nor would it intervene in the tour arrangements of any solo traveler, he said.
The transport ministry last month announced that the ban on group travel to China would be lifted on March 1 next year, when Chinese group tours to Taiwan would be allowed.
The number of tourists traveling to China would be capped at 2,000 people per day, and the same cap would be imposed on Chinese tourists visiting Taiwan, although Wang has assured travel agents that the cap could be adjusted depending on demand.
Separately, Chunghwa Post yesterday told the Transportation Committee that by the end of June next year it aims to resume transshipment of packages from China to other countries.
The state-run postal service on Nov. 7 announced that it would suspend its transshipment service for packages from China. The decision was made after three employees from a care facility in South Korea in July reported that they were experiencing dizziness and having trouble breathing after opening a package from China shipped by Chunghwa Post.
While reviewing Chunghwa Post’s budget plan, Democratic Progressive Party legislators Lin Chun-hsien (林俊憲) and Ho Hsin-chun (何欣純) asked when the transshipment service would be resumed given that it has been almost six months since the incident occurred.
They also asked whether the company is able to identify packages that contain suspicious items.
“We are aiming to resume the transshipment service by the end of June next year. Most packages delivered through the transshipment service come from China. Goods delivered through the service would not be filtered and sorted and would be shipped directly to their final destinations. We hope to communicate with China Post as we review the process to inspect packages,” Chunghwa Post president Chiang Jui-tang (江瑞堂) said.
Chunghwa Post chairman Wu Hong-mo (吳宏謀) said that the company needs to address three key issues before the transshipment service can resume.
“First, we must determine the responsibilities of forwarders regarding the goods they accept from China. Second, we must decide how inspections should proceed if we begin inspecting packages delivered using the transshipment service. Third, we should consider what postal services in the countries where packages arrive should do to handle packages transshipped through Taiwan,” Wu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as