China is waging a growing number of cyberattacks on Taiwan, cybersecurity experts at Alphabet Inc’s Google said on Wednesday.
Google has observed a “massive increase” in Chinese cyberattacks on Taiwan in the past six months or so, said Kate Morgan, a senior engineering manager in Google’s threat analysis division, which monitors government-sponsored hacking campaigns.
Morgan said that Chinese hackers are employing tactics that make their work difficult to track, such as breaking into small home and office Internet routers and repurposing them to wage attacks while masking their true origin.
Photo: AP
“The number of groups in China that are performing hacking and trying to get into technology companies or get into cloud customers is huge,” Morgan said. “I don’t have the exact number, but it is probably over 100 groups that we are tracking just out of China alone.”
The hackers are going “after everything,” including Taiwan’s defense sector, government and private industry, she said.
“Taiwan is facing mounting military intimidation, gray-zone campaigns, cyberattacks and information manipulation,” Morgan said. “Taiwan remains clear eyed about the situation, and we continue to make our utmost effort to strengthen our defense capabilities and societal resilience.”
China’s and Taiwan’s foreign ministries did not immediately respond to requests for comment made outside of regular business hours.
Morgan said that North Korea and Iran also continue to pose “major” hacking threats and that Russia’s cyberfocus has remained largely on Ukraine since its invasion of Ukraine in February last year.
Morgan spoke on the cybersecurity risks at an event marking the launch of a new Google cybersecurity center in Malaga, Spain.
The new hub — called a “safety engineering center” — is to house about 100 security experts from across Google and its subsidiaries such as Mandiant and Virus Total.
The company said it wants to foster collaborations with European businesses and government officials to improve cyber resilience on the continent.
Google already has two safety engineering centers in Europe — one in Dublin, Ireland, that is focused on tackling illegal and harmful content and another in Munich, Germany, that works on security and privacy engineering.
Kent Walker, Google’s president of global affairs, said the company chose Malaga for its new hub in part because Virus Total was founded there and in part because the Spanish government had adopted “pro-innovation” policies that have raised its digital profile.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as