The New Taipei District Court has upheld its rejection of a request for state compensation from the parents of a two-year-old boy who died from complications related to COVID-19 following an 81-minute wait for an ambulance in April last year, the lawyer of the plaintiff said on Saturday.
The lawyer, Wang Miao-hua (王妙華), said the court has determined that the previous ruling made in July was in accordance with legal provisions, and that the appeal from En En’s (恩恩) parents was “neither justifiable nor legal.”
Wang did not specify the date of the final ruling, but mentioned that the parents received the court document on Oct. 30.
Photo: Chen Wei-tzu, Taipei Times
Since the case was handled in a small claims trial, it would not reach a higher court, Wang said on behalf of En En’s family, adding that the father, surnamed Lin (林), was disappointed at the outcome.
Lin’s purpose in bringing the case to court was to seek the truth, and having exhausted all legal avenues now, he respected the ruling but hoped the tragedy would not be repeated, Wang said.
In the first ruling, the court rejected the claim on the grounds that Lin had not provided medical data to establish a causal relationship between his son’s death and government officials’ handling of the ambulance request.
For a claim of state compensation to be established, the case has to involve government officials infringing the freedom and rights of the people through intentional or negligent actions or failure to carry out their duties, the court said.
Lin argued in his appeal that the family is entitled to state compensation since it could adequately prove the harm suffered based on “rule of thumb and social norms.”
In this case, the severe pain they endured had constituted a substantial loss, Lin said, adding that the court failed to take that into consideration in the first ruling.
The court decided that Lin’s points did not stand up and dismissed the appeal without oral argument.
Lin’s son was the first child in Taiwan to die from COVID-19, on April 19 last year. He developed severe COVID-19 symptoms and fell into a coma at home in Jhonghe District (中和) on April 14, just as COVID-19 cases in the country were beginning to surge.
According to the results of an investigation into the case by the now-disbanded Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC), which were released on July 5 last year, En En’s mother first called the city’s fire department to request an ambulance for her son at 5:59pm on April 14.
The city government dispatched an ambulance at 7:06 pm and it arrived at En En’s home and the hospital at 7:20pm and 7:27pm respectively, the report stated.
According to the phone records between agencies, New Taipei City Fire Department was not able to contact the Department of Health, which served at the time as the city’s ambulance dispatch center, to arrange an ambulance until 6:25pm.
The phone records were leaked to the media in June last year, following Lin’s failed requests the previous month for access to them, prompting the CECC to investigate the case.
The hospital said at that time that the boy died of brain stem encephalitis resulting from septicemia that was triggered by the COVID-19 infection, attributing the cause of his death to the rapid deterioration of his condition after he developed severe symptoms.
However, medical authorities have never determined whether a faster response to the ambulance request might have saved the child’s life.
In November last year, Lin filed a compensation lawsuit against the city government, and the city’s fire and health departments, after his demand for a symbolic NT$1 in compensation from each of the three agencies was rejected by the government in September of the same year.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as