A man has been jailed for 25 years for a series of rapes and burglaries over two decades, with advances in forensic investigation leading to his capture.
The High Court last week said that Tu Ming-lang (涂明朗) had committed at least 11 burglaries, breaking in to homes and stealing valuables.
On eight occasions, he sexually assaulted women and girls who were at home at the time, the court said.
Photo: Yang Kuo-wen, Taipei Times
The court found Tu guilty on eight counts of sexual assault and burglary and ordered him to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
It said he posed a high risk of recidivism.
Investigators said that they had collected forensic material at the crime scenes, including bodily fluids and fingerprints, but no match was made for many years, as Tu apparently paused his criminal activity in 2005.
He lived alone and did not use a mobile phone, investigators said.
Tu’s criminal activities were committed mostly in the Taipei area, investigators said.
An initial probe linked him to cases dating to 1998.
He would scout wealthy households and break in when he thought nobody was home, investigators said.
However, he would sometimes encounter lone females in the home, they said.
He would rape them at knife-point, they said, adding that one was aged 11 and one 16, while others were migrant workers who lived in the home as carers, investigators said.
It was not until the Criminal Investigation Bureau’s Forensic Science Center was upgraded in 2018 and a national database of data was compiled that a breakthrough was made in the case, they said.
Through DNA profiling, a burglary case in 2014 was matched to DNA collected in eight previous cases, which led investigators to obtain fingerprints from the crime scenes.
The fingerprint work led to a match to a burglary case in which Tu had been identified as the perpetrator, leading police to pinpoint him in 2019.
However, his whereabouts could not be determined immediately, investigators said.
In April last year, he broke into a home in Taipei, they said.
Police launched a search using surveillance camera footage and tracked him to an abandoned military compound the following month, they said.
Tu, who was 60 when he was arrested, was kept in custody due to high risk of flight and likelihood of committing more crimes.
He appealed, with the second ruling reducing the term to 25 years, as the judges said there was a lack of evidence for the charge of raping the 11-year-old.
Tu’s DNA was found on the girl’s chest, but not on her sexual organs. Tu had told the court he had not raped her.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated