The US being neutral on cross-Taiwan Strait issues is more likely to trigger a war it has long hoped to avoid, Global Taiwan Institute and American Enterprise Institute (AEI) research fellow Michael Mazza said.
Washington accepting Beijing’s coercion of Taiwan while being complicit in Taiwan’s international isolation “may ultimately make war more likely,” Mazza said in an article published in the National Review on Friday.
The remark was a response to an article by Oriana Skylar Mastro, Mazza’s colleague at the AEI, published by the New York Times, in which she urged the US to “restore” a “delicate balance of deterrence and reassurance” to avoid war with China over Taiwan.
Photo: Reuters
Mazza said Mastro’s proposal entailed that the US “stand aside” while Beijing is attempting to isolate Taiwan by bullying and pressuring its diplomatic allies.
Calling on Washington to abandon attempts to create international space for Taipei and US lawmakers to refrain from visiting Taiwan “would leave Beijing emboldened” and Taipei isolated, he said.
The approach “would greenlight coercion and make a violent outcome all the more likely,” he added.
Both authors agreed that it was Beijing’s military coercion and other behaviors that are posing threats to the “status quo,” but they differed in its motivations.
While Mastro said that China stepped up military pressure on Taiwan in response to President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) of the “independence-leaning” Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) being elected in 2016, Mazza considered the change in Taiwanese public opinion as the “larger context” in play.
“Three decades of public opinion polling have shown Taiwan’s people to be increasingly supportive of at least de facto independence and increasingly opposed to unification” and increasingly identifying themselves as Taiwanese rather than Chinese or as both Taiwanese and Chinese, he said.
Beijing’s pressure campaign against Taiwan did not begin after Tsai’s election victory, but during the latter years of former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) term in office, “when he was forced to back away from his attempt to draw closer to Beijing,” he said.
By the 2016 presidential election, China became increasingly aware that “peaceful, uncoerced unification was a pipe dream,” as its carrot-and-stick approach failed to reverse “the obvious and enduring fact of Taiwan’s separateness from the People’s Republic [People’s Republic of China, PRC],” which left China with coercion and meddling, he said.
At the same time, the balance of military power between China and Taiwan had been shifting toward Beijing, which now has advantages in air and naval power, and might launch a successful amphibious invasion of Taiwan in a few years “even with American intervention,” he said.
Mazza’s observation echoed a recently published US Department of Defense report, which said “the PRC’s multi-decade military modernization effort continues to widen the capability gap compared to Taiwan’s military.”
Taiwanese people’s sentiments in favor of independence and China’s growing military strength “make it increasingly likely that Beijing will ultimately opt for force. American reassurances, or American provocations, are a secondary consideration,” Mazza said.
“But even secondary considerations can be impactful,” he said, arguing against Mastro’s suggested approach that the US could reach a high-level agreement with China “in which Washington reiterates its longstanding political neutrality and China commits to dialing back its military threats.”
The US “has never maintained a position of true ‘political neutrality,’” but “has long thrown its weight behind Taiwan,” including the ongoing provision of arms to Taiwan based on the Taiwan Relations Act, he said.
Being politically neutral would essentially give China “a free hand” and “not a recipe for the peaceful resolution of disputes,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as