US commitment to Taiwan’s security would not be diminished by the flare-up of the Israel-Hamas conflict, Presidential Office Deputy Secretary-General Alex Huang (黃重諺) said.
Citing American Institute in Taiwan Chair Laura Rosenberger’s comments during her latest visit to Taipei last week, Huang, in an interview with Mirror TV aired on Friday, said the US has reiterated that its focus on the contingency in the Middle East would not lead to a reduction in its support for Taiwan.
That opposition parties are blaming President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) for the rise in cross-strait tensions and playing up fears of war is irresponsible and plays into Beijing’s hand, Huang said.
Photo: CNA
China since the beginning of the year has directed its cognitive warfare operations toward causing distrust between Taiwan and its key allies, and manipulating the public’s distress about a potential invasion, he said.
Numerous Israelis living abroad voluntarily returned to their country following the attacks by Hamas with an expectation of being called up for military service, which is an example of national resolve, Huang said.
Israel is a multi-party democracy like Taiwan, but its politicians rallied together in defense of their nation, instead of leveling accusations of putting the country’s young people in danger by provoking conflict, he said.
In related developments, 14 evacuees from Israel arrived in Italy on Friday afternoon on a government-paid charter flight.
The Israir Airlines charter flight took off from Ben Gurion International Airport at 12:41am on Friday Israeli time, and arrived at the Fiumicino International Airport in Rome at about 3pm on Friday Italy time, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in press release.
The 179-seat charter flight was boarded by 14 passengers, including nine Taiwanese citizens (a family of five, three backpackers and a student), the ministry said.
Four nationals from Taiwan’s Central American ally Guatemala and one from the nation’s South American ally Paraguay were also on board the evacuation plane, it added.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said 137 citizens of the Republic of China have chosen to remain in Israel and not be evacuated to other countries or return to Taiwan.
Eighty-eight of them are overseas Taiwanese and students, while the remaining 49 are Taiwanese who are married to Israeli nationals and have acquired Israeli citizenship, Wu said.
At least 35 People’s Republic of China (PRC) citizens have reached out to Taiwan’s office in Tel Aviv to board the Taipei-sponsored charter flight on Friday, Wu said.
Ultimately none of the Chinse nationals joined the flight after Taiwan’s representative office asked for their passport information to make arrangements, Wu said.
The PRC has not arranged any charter flights to evacuate its citizens from Israel. Instead, it has advised Chinese to leave Israel on their own, as commercial flights are still available in the Middle Eastern country.
Currently, Taipei has its travel alert for Israel at the second-highest orange alert, advising people to avoid unnecessary travel to the country.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has continued to issue the highest-level red alert for Gaza City and the West Bank, asking Taiwanese not to visit these areas.
China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs estimated that about 1,000 Chinese have left Israel on their own amid the Israeli-Hamas war.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as