A rights advocate yesterday said that a 2010 request from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs under then-president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) not to criticize China only made him want to speak out even more.
“You don’t typically tell an activist to be quiet on a subject of human rights. You know, it’s just a terrible idea,” Oslo Freedom Forum founder Thor Halvorssen told a news conference in Taipei before the start of this year’s half-day forum.
Halvorssen, who is also the founder and chief executive of the US-based Human Rights Foundation, said that the ministry pleaded with him not to say anything negative about China in a conference speech in Taipei 13 years ago.
Photo: Yang Yao-ru, Taipei Times
He said the request was counterproductive, resulting in him rewriting his speech the night before the conference to include more criticisms of China, taking aim at the Chinese Communist Party for being “the most criminal syndicate that violates human rights in the world.”
Ma and his entourage “got up and walked out” five minutes into the speech, he said.
In a meeting on Monday with Legislative Speaker You Si-kun (游錫?), Halvorssen said that he was kicked out of his hotel in retaliation for the speech.
That led Democratic Progressive Party lawmakers to demand that Ma apologize for his administration’s alleged treatment of Halvorssen.
Ma Ying-jeou Foundation director Hsiao Hsu-tsen (蕭旭岑) on Tuesday said that Halvorssen had been clear in his recounting on Monday that it was the ministry and not Ma who had asked him about his speech in 2010.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it respects Halvorssen’s personal remarks and views, but has no further comment on the matter.
The Oslo Freedom Forum is a series of international human rights conferences launched by the Human Rights Foundation in 2009.
The conferences aim to bring together notable people, including former heads of state, Nobel Peace Prize laureates, prisoners of conscience and other public figures to network and exchange ideas about human rights and exposing dictatorships, its Web site says.
This year’s speakers in Taipei included Cuban freelance writer Abraham Jimenez Enoa, who has written for the Washington Post and cofounded the online magazine El Estornudo, one of the first independent Cuban outlets dedicated to literary journalism; Dalia Hatuqa, a journalist specializing in Israeli-Palestinian affairs, regional Middle East issues and US foreign policy; and Mzwandile Masuku, a Swazi human rights lawyer and the son of late prominent opposition leader Mario Masuku.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as