Hospitalizations for COVID-19 rose slightly last week, while the first Omicron BA.2.86 case was reported, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday.
There were an average of 43 hospitalized COVID-19 cases per day last week, slightly higher than 39 per day the previous week, while the average number of COVID-19-related deaths per day increased to six from three, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said.
The CDC’s model shows that local COVID-19 cases are expected to gradually rise to a peak in late December, with an estimated 22,000 to 24,000 new cases per day, CDC Deputy Director-General Tseng Shu-hui (曾淑慧) said.
Photo: Lin Hui-chin, Taipei Times
SARS-CoV-2 genomic surveillance data showed that among 41 sequenced local cases, all had Omicron XBB subvariants, including 30 with the EG.5 strain, Guo said.
Among 15 sequenced imported cases, 14 had Omicron XBB subvariants and one had the new Omicron BA.2.86 subvariant, he said.
Tseng said that the imported Omicron BA.2.86 case is a visitor who arrived from Turkey on Sept. 28, marking the first BA.2.86 case detected in Taiwan.
The BA.2.86 subvariant evolved from an Omicron BA.2 sublineage. It has 32 spike protein amino acid mutations compared with BA.2, 35 mutations compared with XBB.1.5 and 58 compared with the earliest strain of COVID-19 in Wuhan, China, she said.
The BA.2.86 subvariant was first detected in Denmark on July 24, Tseng said, adding that as of Monday morning, 654 sequences of the subvariant’s genome had been uploaded to the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data database.
The WHO on Aug. 17 designated it as a variant under monitoring.
Its mutations are mainly to the spike proteins, so rapid test kits can detect BA.2.86, as they focus on the nucleocapsid protein, Tseng said.
There is no evidence yet that the new subvariant is causing more severe illness, she said, adding that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests that updated vaccines should work well against currently circulating COVID-19 variants, including BA.2.86.
As about 78 percent of hospitalized cases are 65 or older and Omicron XBB subvariants are still the dominant variant globally, the CDC urges elderly people to get vaccinated with an XBB.1.5-adapted vaccine to reduce the risk of severe complications and death, Tseng said.
Separately, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Wang Hung-wei (王鴻薇) said the now-shuttered Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) spent more than NT$470 million (US$14.55 million) on ineffective COVID-19 rapid test kits from South Korean companies.
The CECC had sought a refund for the defective products, but was afraid the incident would be made public, so it agreed to exchange the defective products, Wang said.
Tseng said that due to sudden demand for at-home rapid test kits in April last year, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued emergency use authorization to nine companies to supply test kits.
Two of the nine companies imported about 5.32 million test kits from South Korea, with Evermedical Co Ltd procuring about 300,000 kits and TST Biomedical Electronics Co procuring about 5.02 million, she said.
An FDA inspection showed that the kits imported by the two companies were ineffective, so the CDC stopped payment for the products and initiated a recall in August, she said.
The kits imported by Evermedical were used, but the CDC had not paid the NT$2.85 million bill for them, she said.
The company sought an intervention by the Public Construction Commission, which said that the cost of the used defective test kits should be NT$0, Tseng said, adding that the CDC would use that figure.
Of the kits imported by TST Biomedical Electronics, 1.33 million were used, with local health departments ordered to recall the remaining 3.69 million kits, she said.
TST Biomedical Electronics was ordered to return the unused kits to South Korea, she said.
The firm imported another batch to replace the 3.69 million test kits and they passed border inspections, she said.
The CECC has paid TST Biomedical Electronics NT$426.575 million, with NT$48.424 million unpaid, but with the 1.33 million defective kits — for which it paid about NT$126.15 million — deemed to be worth nothing, the CDC is seeking a NT$77.72 million refund, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as