Chinese tour groups are not likely to come to Taiwan until next year, Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) told the legislature’s Transportation Committee yesterday.
“We have learned through our unofficial channel of communications that [Chinese tourists] are unlikely to come this year. We will see about next year,” Wang told Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Fu Kun-chi (傅崐萁).
The government has since last month allowed Chinese living or studying outside China, or in Hong Kong or Macau, to visit Taiwan for tourism.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
The Mainland Affairs Council on Aug. 24 said that it aimed to fully resume cross-strait tourism following a 30-day preparation period, and would cap the number of Chinese group travelers to Taiwan at 2,000 per day in the initial phase, adding that the same daily quota would also apply to Taiwanese tour groups traveling to China.
When cross-strait tourism could resume would depend largely on China’s response to the new policy, the council said.
However, the council said at the end of last month that it has yet to receive any official response from Beijing.
“We must be crystal clear about where we stand on cross-strait tourism issues. We have shown goodwill and would allow Taiwanese tour groups to visit China, but if Beijing only allows Taiwanese to visit China while continuing to impose a travel ban to Taiwan for Chinese group travelers, it would eventually hurt our hoteliers and restaurateurs,” Wang said.
Separately, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Lee Kun-tse (李昆澤) blamed the Tourism Administration for a lack of growth in international visitor numbers.
The World Tourism Organization has projected that this year’s international tourism market is expected to return to at least 80 percent of pre-COVID-19 levels, up from 63 percent last year, Lee said.
The report also states that the recovery of international tourism in some countries could reach 90 percent of pre-pandemic levels this year, Lee said.
From January to August, Taiwan welcomed 3.82 million international travelers, which accounted for only 48 percent of international arrivals during the same period in 2019, Lee said.
By contrast, 7.34 million Taiwanese had traveled overseas as of August, which was 62.8 percent of the number recorded during the same period in 2019.
In Japan, the total number of inbound tourists had as of August recovered to 70 percent of the 2019 level, Lee said, citing data from the Japan National Tourism Organization.
The number of international arrivals in Japan in August returned to 86 percent of the level recorded in the same month in 2019.
Even if the Tourism Administration could manage to reach its goal of 6 million international tourists visiting Taiwan this year, it would only be 49 percent of the level recorded before COVID-19, Lee said.
Domestic tourism also showed no signs of recovery, Lee said.
The average hotel occupancy rate during the Mid-Autumn Festival long weekend was 49.28 percent, while that for the Double Ten National Day long weekend was 59.93 percent, he said.
Lee said there were several hurdles for Taiwan in attracting international tourists, including difficulties in transiting between different public transport systems, confusing road signs, a lack of characteristics in some tourist attractions and tours with low cost-performance ratios.
In response, Tourism Administration Director-General Chou Yung-hui (周永暉) said that Japan would not have mostly returned to its pre-COVID-19 levels if it discounted Chinese tourists, adding that the devaluation of the Japanese yen also prevented many Japanese from traveling overseas.
“We would increase our offices overseas, which would be in charge of conducting tourism campaigns to attract international travelers,” Chou said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated