The owner of a Pingtung County golf ball factory where a fire last month left 10 people dead and 113 injured yesterday said that it has set up a NT$500 million (US$15.52 million) trust fund for affected employees, and that the families of firefighters killed in the blaze would also receive compensation.
Eight Launch Technologies Co (明揚國際) employees and three firefighters remain hospitalized, a company representative told a news conference on how the company was handling the aftermath of the Sept. 22 incident.
Launch Technologies has set aside NT$20 million in a fund to pay medical expenses related to the fire, and has given NT$300,000 to the families of the 10 people who died, the representative said.
Photo: Luo Hsin-chen, Taipei Times
On Friday, the families of six factory workers who died received five months of the employees’ average monthly salary to help with funeral expenses and 40 months of their average monthly salary as compensation in accordance with the Labor Standards Act (勞動基準法), the representative said.
They added that although the families of the four deceased firefighters qualify for a state line-of-duty death benefit, the company would also pay compensation to their families.
Minister of the Interior Lin Yu-chang (林右昌) on Sept. 27 said that the four firefighters who died in the blaze would be enshrined at the National Revolutionary Martyrs’ Shrine in Taipei and that their families would each be eligible to claim a death benefit of NT$28 million.
In addition, the company has also set up a NT$500 million trust to compensate the families of the deceased and injured employees.
The families of the deceased firefighters would receive further compensation through a separate fund, the company said.
The company, which has suspended operations due to the incident, also pledged to pay worker wages until the end of this year and would gauge their willingness to work at the factory when it can be reopened.
On Sept. 25, the company was fined NT$2.4 million after the Pingtung County Government determined that the factory had contravened regulations by storing more flammable materials than is permitted.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and