The Taichung City Government on Tuesday apologized for issues with its Double Ten National Day fireworks display, after visitors complained about the fireworks starting 20 minutes early, the sudden cancelation of a planned drone show and poor stage setup.
The show on Tuesday evening was the first time in nine years the national fireworks display was held in Taichung.
The city government had planned a 36-minute fireworks display at Taichung Central Park accompanied for the first time by jazz music and a drone show, and followed by musical performances by Fire EX, OSN and other popular acts.
Photo: Liao Yao-tung, Taipei Times
However, the fireworks display began 20 minutes early at 7:40pm, causing some people to miss it and affecting the performances afterward, while the drone component was canceled altogether.
Visitors also complained about the stage setup, saying the performers had their backs to most of the audience.
In response, the Taichung City Government said it had originally scheduled 30 minutes for speeches, but the speakers kept their remarks concise out of consideration for the public.
Since there was nothing scheduled to fill the extra time, the organizers began the display early “without taking into account spectators’ plans,” it said, apologizing for the planning flaws.
The drones were canceled due to security and safety considerations, as more than 20 unidentified drones had intruded on the restricted airspace above the venue, causing signal interference, it said.
As for the stage setup, the city government said the original design was intended to enable viewing from all sides.
However, since it was being live streamed, the artists primarily faced the camera and had difficulty shifting their instruments to also perform for the audience behind them at the venue, it said, but added that two large screens had been set up for spectators.
The city government vowed to review its design for similar staging in the future.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated