This year’s Taipei Nuit Blanche is to begin tomorrow evening in Xinyi District (信義) around three main venues, and is set to see the Taipei City Government and Taipei City Council buildings transformed into the settings of a series of performances and cultural activities.
Built around the theme “time to rise up,” the 12-hour event, which begins at 6pm tomorrow, offers a platform for civic engagement and dialogue, thereby raising public awareness about a host of topics, including climate change, environmental sustainability, war and peace, human rights and freedom, animal protection, gender equality and the aspirations of young people through the shows and artworks on display, the event’s organizers said.
From 8:30pm, performers are to start staging the circus show One Night in Taipei at the legislative chamber of the Taipei City Council, which is to see performers interact with microphones and other fixtures in the chamber, with the show set to music by a DJ, the organizers said.
Photo courtesy of the Taipei Department of Cultural Affairs via
A total of four shows have been planned, with the final one taking place at 9:40pm, while seating at the circus show would be reserved for visitors who have registered in advance, they said.
From 11pm, God’s Voice, a theater piece featuring actors and musicians portraying deities and angels attending a meeting on the betterment of the human realm, is to be staged.
Six shows have been planned, with the last one set to begin at 12:40am.
In the Taipei City Hall lobby, Swing Taiwan, the nation’s largest swing dancing education organization, is holding a workshop from 8pm to 9:30pm targeting people wanting to experience the dance style, while a jazz band is also to play at the venue as the dancing takes place.
From 10pm to 4am, several musicians have been selected to play Taiwanese, Western and Japanese music popular in Taiwan from different eras.
Meanwhile, on the 14th floor of Taipei City Hall, an actor donning a cat helmet created by Japanese artist Housetu Sato and performers from the House Peace troupe are to interact with visitors who have signed up in advance in the Mayor’s Office, the organizers said.
The event is to be livestreamed and is meant to show that Taipei aspires to become an “animal-friendly” city, organizers said.
In addition, more than 1,000 large photographs of random people who participated in photoshoots initiated by French artist JR last month are to be plastered on the facade of the Taipei City Hall and at various locations across the city.
The installation artwork, which forms part of JR’s international “Inside Out Project,” seeks to proclaim to the world that despite being a geopolitical flashpoint, Taiwan proudly embraces freedom and a democratic way of life through a collage of portraits of its inhabitants, organizers said.
At the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, a series of installation artworks and a bazaar are planned.
Among the artworks is Minimum Monument, a limited-time-only work by Brazilian sculptor Nele Azevedo showcasing 3,000 figurines sculpted from ice, which are to be placed on the stairs at the east entrance of the hall.
The piece is a reminder of the threats of climate change and a tribute to victims of historical events, the artist said.
This year’s event would also see the participation of eight bars working in collaboration with the Raptor Research Group of Taiwan to each serve up a specially mixed cocktails inspired by endangered predatory birds to raise awareness of environmental protection.
Launched in Paris in 2002, Nuit Blanche is observed internationally on the first Saturday of October and aims to make art more accessible to the public and allow residents to see their cities in a new light.
Taipei held its first-ever Nuit Blanche in 2016.
The Taipei City Government said last year’s Nuit Blanche in Shilin District (士林) attracted about 400,000 attendees.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as