The parent company of Launch Technologies Co (明揚國際) has been fined about NT$680,000 for occupational safety hazards at its six plants, after a blaze at a Launch Technologies factory in Pingtung County last month killed nine people.
The announcement on Tuesday by the Ministry of Labor is the result of its investigation into the golf ball manufacturer and its parent company, Advanced International Multitech Co (AD Group, 明安國際), following the Sept. 22 fire.
Last week, the other six factories operated by AD Group underwent comprehensive labor inspections, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) said in a news release, adding that one had ceased operations, while the others mainly produce golf clubs and carbon fiber bicycle components.
Photo: Lee Hui-chou, Taipei Times
No large quantities of organic peroxides were found at the factories, which was the explosion hazard used to make golf ball cores that was stored illegally at the Pingtung factory, OSHA said.
However, investigators did find instances in which flammable gasses and liquids were not stored in hazard zones in contravention of the Occupational Safety and Health Act (職業安全衛生法), it said.
Employees working in high-temperature conditions were also not given proper protective gear, it added.
AD Group was fined a total of NT$680,000 for 16 contraventions of the act and instructed to improve eight of them, subject to follow-up inspections, OSHA said.
Investigators also identified six contraventions of the Labor Standards Act (勞動基準法), including cutting employee hours without notifying the authorities, and would be disciplined accordingly, it added.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated