Taiwan and India are close to signing a migration and mobility deal in a potential solution to the labor shortage across large swathes of the Taiwanese economy, an India-based newspaper said on Tuesday.
Representatives of the two governments anticipate a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to materialize next month at the earliest, the Hindustan Times said, citing anonymous sources familiar with the matter.
Taiwan suffers from worker shortages in manufacturing, construction, household work, agriculture and fisheries, the sources said, adding that Taipei has been viewing India as a possible source of labor.
Taiwanese officials expressed interest in northeastern India due to the similarities the region bears to Taiwanese culture and preferences in food, the newspaper cited them as saying.
Bilateral trade has been growing steadily in recent years, with India ranking as Taiwan’s 14th-largest export destination and its 18th-largest source of imports, it said, adding that trade volume has increased from US$1.19 billion to US$8.4 billion between 2001 and last year.
The signing of the MOU would move the development of bilateral trade in the right direction, and has immense potential, Manharsinh Laxmanbhai Yadav, director general of India-Taipei Association, said during a negotiation earlier this month.
Taiwan and India have no official diplomatic ties, but there are representative offices which were mutually established in 1995, and both countries are bound by shared agreements on tariffs, taxes and investments.
Recently, Taiwanese tech enterprises, including the Hon Hai Group, Delta Electronics, Wistron and Pegatron, as well as maritime shipping, manufacturing and gaming industries have made investments in India in response to global supply chain adjustments.
The Ministry of Labor said that Taiwan as of last month employed 746,596 migrant workers in traditional industries and the caregiving sector, with the majority of that workforce insisting of Indonesian, Vietnamese, Filipino and Thai migrants.
The nation also recruits workers from Malaysia and Mongolia, but without much success because only single-digit numbers of workers hailed from these countries.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and