A second team of volunteer medical professionals from Taipei’s Mackay Memorial Hospital left for Ukraine yesterday to help establish mobile healthcare units and give tutorials on the operation of ultrasonic devices.
The seven-member team would spend a total of 11 days in the Ukrainian cities of Cherkasy and Lviv, the hospital said in a statement.
Tsai Wei-de (蔡維德), the team’s leader and director of the hospital’s International Medical Service Center, on Saturday said that while it would “be a lie to pretend I am not worried,” he was convinced the humanitarian benefits of the mission made it worthwhile.
Photo: CNA
The team, which includes specialists in family and disaster medicine as well as several nurses, would aim to develop sustainable healthcare services for Ukrainians, Tsai said.
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime,” said Tsai, who has carried out similar missions to about 50 countries during his 20 years of service at Mackay Memorial Hospital.
The humanitarian team sent in April from the hospital was the first medical aid support group from Taiwan to provide assistance in Ukraine since the conflict erupted last year.
During their April missions in Mukachevo and Lviv, the earlier team provided free consultations at mobile healthcare units, assisted local surgeons in the operating room, conducted educational activities and offered psychological support to individuals affected by severe trauma, the hospital said.
Tsai said he was most impressed with local people’s bond with Taiwan, noting an elderly resident in rural Ukraine knew that Taiwan was independent from China.
Tsai added that Ukraine was the first country out of the 50 he had visited on medical missions where no one had mistaken Taiwan for Thailand.
There were also young Ukrainians who used to study in Taiwan wearing self-made vests that read “Team Taiwan in Ukraine” and helping people, which Tsai said he was very moved by.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and