Japan has been told that if the radiation levels in the treated nuclear wastewater from its disabled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant exceed safety standards in waters around Taiwan, it should stop the release of the water, a Taiwanese diplomat said on Thursday.
The diplomat, who asked to be identified only as an official from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Taiwan-Japan Relations Association, said that Taiwan’s conditions were put forth to the Japanese government by the association and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in Japan.
Taiwan has also asked to put the issue on the regular agendas of the annual Taiwan-Japan dialogue on oceanic affairs and the annual discussions between the Atomic Energy Council (AEC) and its Japanese counterpart, the diplomat said.
Photo: Reuters
The aim of that suggestion is to devise the best ways to monitor the safety levels of the treated radioactive wastewater being released, the diplomat said.
JAPAN ACKNOWLEDGES
The Japanese representative to whom that proposal was presented has agreed to forward it to the country’s government and would inform Taiwan of the response in due course, they said.
The terms Taiwan has put forth for stopping the discharge of the treated radioactive water have been acknowledged by the Japanese government, which has said only that it understands Taiwan’s position on the issue, they added.
The diplomat was commenting on the government’s response to a protest held on Wednesday in front of the Japan-Taiwan Exchange Association by Taiwanese non-governmental organizations against the release of the nuclear wastewater.
The Cabinet on Wednesday said the nuclear wastewater would take a year or two before it reaches the Taiwan Strait.
The radioactive substance tritium is projected to reach its maximum concentration in nearby waters in four years, Cabinet spokesman Lin Tze-luen (林子倫) said, adding the expected maximum level is lower than the usual concentration of tritium in the waters around Taiwan.
As such, the impact on radiation-related safety near Taiwan is expected to be “negligible,” he said.
The AEC said the government had a plan to protect the public from radioactive ocean contamination by taking measures such as monitoring changes in the ocean flow and checking more frequently for radioactive residues in aquatic products.
The Fisheries Agency also said that a cross-ministerial task force in Taiwan had been monitoring food safety since the meltdown at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant in the wake of the 2011 tsunami in Japan.
In preparation for Japan’s release of the treated nuclear wastewater, government agencies have expanded their testing of marine products, the agency said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as