President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday presented certificates to restore the reputation of victims of the state during the nation’s authoritarian period.
It was the first national-level ceremony ever held to redress the state’s wrongs, Tsai said.
“Taiwan is already a democratic and free nation, so it needs to face the past authoritarian rule through transitional justice, and it must clarify the relevant responsibilities regarding the illegal acts of the state, to allow the historical truth to become clearer,” she said at an exoneration ceremony in Taipei.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
The Act on Promoting Transitional Justice (促進轉型正義條例) was passed in 2017 and the Transitional Justice Promotion Committee was established to oversee related operations, Tsai said, adding that while the committee closed its doors last year, its work addressing transitional justice would continue to be carried out by the Executive Yuan’s six ministries.
The Ministry of Justice has redressed 1,439 wrongful judicial and administrative acts, and the Restoration of Victims’ Rights Infringed by Illegal Acts of the State During the Period of Authoritarian Rule Foundation was founded by the Ministry of the Interior in January, Tsai said.
The foundation has accepted 1,594 claims for compensation, and a total of NT$2.2 billion (US$68.73 million) has been granted to victims. It has also approved 1,439 exoneration applications and handed over the exoneration certificates at yesterday’s ceremony.
During the ceremony, which was attended by about 100 White Terror victims and their family members, Tsai also paid special tribute to late political prisoner and human rights advocate Tsai Kun-lin (蔡焜霖).
It is “regrettable that Tsai Kun-lin could not be here today, but his spirit and legacy will continue to guide us on the path of protecting Taiwan’s democracy,” Tsai said of the 92-year-old who passed away on Sunday last week, after a short stay in a hospital.
Tsai Kun-lin was among the first batch of political prisoners sent to a labor reform camp on Green Island (綠島), where he spent 10 years, the president said.
Yet his time in prison did not “devour” him, she said, adding that after his release, he founded a magazine, supported a youth baseball team and took part in activities promoting human rights.
Tsai Kun-lin was charged with treason as a 20-year-old civil servant by the then-Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government for joining a “left-leaning” reading club in high school.
After his release in 1960, he married and worked in advertising, later moving into publishing and founding the Prince children’s magazine in 1966. In 1968, he used the magazine to solicit donations for the Taitung Red Leaves youth baseball team, whose victory over a Japanese team was credited with sparking the nation’s interest in baseball.
In his later years, Tsai Kun-lin devoted himself to the promotion of human rights and sharing the history of the White Terror era.
Tsai Kun-lin’s son, Tsai Yen-lung (蔡炎龍), a mathematics professor, received the certificate of exoneration on behalf of his father from the president, and read out an unfinished speech his father had prepared to deliver at the ceremony.
His father hoped that future generations would not repeat history, Tsai Yen-lung said.
Apart from Tsai Kun-lin, writer and human rights advocate Lu Chien-hsing (呂建興) also received a certificate, which he said served as consolation to the victims and their families.
Describing the work of transitional justice as “a race against time,” Lu urged the government to “speed up” efforts to restore the reputation of people who were politically persecuted during the White Terror era and award compensation to victims and their surviving relatives.
Lu was arrested and given a life sentence when he was 19 years old for his involvement in student activism. He was released after serving 15 years in prison.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as