Three of the nation’s presidential candidates are to take part in a televised climate policy debate next month, the event’s organizers, Greenpeace Taiwan and the International Climate Development Institute (ICDI), said on Thursday.
ICDI director Camyale Chao (趙恭岳) said the debate is to take place on Oct. 21, and that the nominees of Taiwan’s three largest political parties — Vice President William Lai (賴清德) of the Democratic Progressive Party, New Taipei City Mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜) of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) of the Taiwan People’s Party — have agreed to attend.
Greenpeace project manager Lena Chang (張皪心) said the candidates would take questions from representatives of the media, academia and the business world, as well as questions submitted online by members of the public.
Photo: Chen Chia-yi, Taipei Times
Due to time constraints, the candidates might not be able to respond to each other’s answers or engage in back-and-forth debate, she said.
Chang said the two other candidates in the presidential race — Hon Hai Precision Industry Co founder Terry Gou (郭台銘) and former Tainan County commissioner Su Huan-chih (蘇煥智) — might also be invited, depending on how their efforts to collect signatures and qualify for the ballot are going.
Although the candidates have laid out their energy policy proposals — mainly hinging on their support or opposition to nuclear energy — to date, none has published a formal climate or environmental platform.
On Thursday, Greenpeace called on the candidates to commit, and put forward plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent and ensure renewable energy sources account for 40 percent of Taiwan’s energy mix by 2030.
Last year, 82.42 percent of the energy generated in Taiwan came from fossil fuels (mainly coal and liquefied natural gas), while 8.28 percent came from renewable energy sources, 8.24 percent from nuclear power and 1.06 percent from pumped storage hydropower, according to Bureau of Energy data.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as