TRANSPORTATION
Train malfunction resolved
Despite reports of smoke coming from a malfunctioning train yesterday morning, the Taipei MRT Red Line continued to operate normally due to rapid response by maintenance personnel, Taipei Rapid Transit Co (TRTC) said in a statement. Smoke was reported coming from a train heading toward Tamsui as it passed Jiantan Station, with some passengers saying they smelled burning.The smoke was caused by friction braking applied after the train’s propulsion system malfunctioned at 8:47am, TRTC said. Maintenance personnel boarded the train immediately to handle the issue, with the Taipei MRT Operation Control Center ensuring that the approximately 600 passengers on the train were able to get on the next service, it said, adding that the whole situation was resolved in about three minutes. The issue has been fully resolved and checks into how the propulsion system malfunctioned would be done when the train is back at the depot, the statement added.
SOCIETY
Man struck by falling tree
A 67-year-old motorcyclist was yesterday seriously injured and is being treated in a hospital after he was struck on the head by a falling tree in Taipei, local authorities said. The Taipei Fire Department said it received a report at 11:39am about the incident that took place near Civic Boulevard and Zhongshan N Road, Sec 1. Upon arriving at the scene, paramedics found the man, surnamed Lin (林), unconscious and without vital signs, and rushed him to Mackay Memorial Hospital for emergency treatment, the department said. The tree that fell on the man had been growing on the sidewalk and had cracked at the bottom of the trunk near the roots, it said, adding that it had asked the city government to investigate the matter. At 11am — at about the time of the accident — Taipei was reporting sustained wind speeds of 15kph and gusts of up to 35 kph, Central Weather Bureau data showed.
CRIME
Seven charged over gun
Seven Marine Corps officers have been indicted for allegedly replacing a handgun from an armory in Pingtung County with an air gun replica last year, prosecutors said on Tuesday. The commanding officer of the Marine Corps Recruit Training Center, surnamed Pan (潘), a squad leader surnamed Cheng (鄭) and a battalion commander surnamed Lin (林) were charged, along with four company commanders, the Pingtung District Prosecutors’ Office said in a statement. The seven are accused of conspiring to purchase an air gun and storing it in the armory in place of a missing .45-caliber handgun, prosecutors said. As part of the cover-up, the accused etched the same serial number onto the air gun as the lost weapon, which has not been found, they said. The handgun was only discovered missing by a sergeant, surnamed Wu (吳), performing a weapons check on March 4 last year. Although Wu immediately reported the matter, no action was taken until March 20, when Lin and the four company commanders went and purchased an air gun to replace it, prosecutors said. Pan, who was by this time aware of the missing weapon, did not report the matter to the authorities as required. Prosecutors said they would defer the prosecutions of five other officers connected to the case as they have shown remorse and are first-time offenders. Superior officers up the chain of command did nothing to report the missing weapon, and their subordinates were only following orders, they added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as