Vice Premier Cheng Wen-tsan (鄭文燦) on Wednesday said that the Cabinet would set up a support fund package of NT$3 billion (US$93.8 million) to cover portions of the expenditure for the new Keelung MRT project, thereby easing the financial burden on the Keelung City Government, as the project is expected to start construction at the end of this year.
The Keelung MRT Construction and Operation Fund would be established to reduce the financial burden of the city government, which would need to pay NT$1.7 billion through the expected nine years of construction, Cheng said.
When the Cabinet finalized the project in February last year, the estimated total expenditure was NT$42.5 billion, with the Keelung City Government’s share at NT$1.77 billion.
Photo: Yu Chao-fu, Taipei Times
However, the official estimate has risen to NT$69.7 billion due to higher construction material costs, a shortage of labor, higher wages, the effects of a global economic downturn and an adjusted calculation for the appropriation of private land.
The Keelung City Government’s increased financial commitment had angered Keelung Mayor Hsieh Kuo-liang (謝國樑), who had refused to cover the higher costs.
In response to Cheng’s announcement, Hsieh on Wednesday said: “I can happily accept this new proposed funding package ... as we are impressed by the goodwill shown by the Cabinet.”
Cheng said the Cabinet had assessed real estate and commercial developments associated with the Keelung MRT project would bring in more than NT$4 billion of revenue, including a new “Industrial Town for Sci-Tech Research and Development” in Keelung’s Wudu District (五堵).
This revenue would be incorporated into the Keelung MRT Construction and Operation Fund which the Cabinet would help the city government set up.
The MRT line’s route through Keelung had also been adjusted to cut costs, Cheng added.
Meanwhile, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Lai Pin-yu (賴品妤) said about half of the Keelung MRT route would serve urban areas in New Taipei City’s Sijhih District (汐止), so she requested that construction begin as soon as possible.
Independent Keelung City Councilor Wang Hsing-tzu (王醒之) said that financial issues resulting from the project also include the cost of operating the line, which Cheng did not mention.
Additional reporting by Jason Pan
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as