Government agronomists on Tuesday unveiled a new variety of high-protein, weather-resistant soybean, which they said could help ease Taiwan’s near-total reliance on imports of the food staple.
The “Taichung No. 1 — September bean” was presented at a news conference after seven years of development by the Taichung District Agricultural Research and Extension Station.
Chen Huan-pin (陳鐶斌), a researcher at the agency, said the bean was notable for its relatively high protein content and low levels of fat, as well as its small kernel size, which makes it ideal for processing.
Photo: Yang Yuan-ting, Taipei Times
The station said the bean is composed of about 40 percent protein by weight, compared with the typical 35 percent, and only 14.6 percent fat, compared with the usual 20 percent.
As a crop, it can be planted as late as mid-September in central Taiwan and harvested 100 days later, therefore reducing the chances of a typhoon wiping out a farmer’s investment, the agency said.
The bean was also bred for improved resistance to soybean stem borers (a common pest) and drought, and has an average yield of about 2,400kg per hectare, the station said.
This year, farmers partnering with the research station planted 350 hectares of the new soybean variety on a trial basis, it said.
The station said that the new soybean variety fits with the government’s plans to expand domestic grain and bean production, and could also help farmers tap into the growing market for soy-based meat substitutes.
Taiwan imported 2.75 million tonnes of soybeans last year, mainly from the US and Brazil, compared with only 5,430 tonnes produced domestically, government data showed.
The Ministry of Agriculture last year set a goal of growing 10 percent of all soybeans for human consumption domestically within five years, equivalent to a more than fivefold increase from 1.9 percent.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as