The Hsinchu District Court on Thursday handed a metal factory worker surnamed Chang (張) a three-month prison sentence and ordered him to pay NT$9.03 million (US$283,980) in compensation after finding him guilty of abetting a scam.
Investigators found that Chang had collaborated with a criminal ring by “selling” them his personal bank account, bank card, mobile phone with SIM card and other information in exchange for NT$30,000, to enable them to deposit and transfer money.
Chang’s actions allowed the criminal ring to conduct quick transactions, which contributed to their scam by covering their identity and making it difficult for the authorities to trace the money, the court said.
Photo: Liao Hsueh-ju, Taipei Times
The judges imposed a severe financial punishment, saying that Chang had abetted serious criminal activities.
The scam had detrimental effects on society and the nation’s financial wealth, they said, adding that preventing the authorities from tracking down the illicit money resulted in a great loss to the woman they targeted.
In addition to the prison sentence, Chang had NT$30,000 confiscated, the amount he was paid by the criminal ring. The NT$9.03 million was the amount that was passed through his bank account.
Investigators found that Chang started to collaborate with others in 2021 to scam a woman surnamed Liao (廖) by pretending to be telecom employees, police officers and a prosecutor, and instructing her to transfer money into a bank account.
Liao made numerous transfers worth NT$9.03 million into Chang’s account, and after realizing she had been scammed, she requested a criminal prosecution and filed a civil case against the defendants.
In related news, investigators in Taichung have issued a warning for parents to watch over teenagers, as this year they have arrested 87 teenage suspects for allegedly colluding with scammers.
Taichung’s Juvenile Police Branch on Thursday said in a release that they had arrested 764 suspects on suspicion of collecting money for swindlers and 87 of them were teenagers.
Most of the teen suspects had known they were working for scammers, it said, adding that most of them had agreed to join after seeing online advertiesements offering good pay for a short-term job.
It said said 35 percent of the teenage suspects said they had been introduced to criminals through word of mouth from classmates or friends.
Although minors can receive reduced penalties for such crimes, there is no reduction to compensation for financial losses, the police branch said.
In a recent case in Taichung, one teenager helped scammers collect money from ATMs and the court ordered their parents to pay NT$5.33 million in compensation, it said.
In another case at the Taipei District Court in May, parents of two teenagers were required to pay NT$1.07 million in compensation.
In another scam case before the High Court, since the scammers had fled with the money, the court ordered the teenager and his parents to pay NT$2.3 million in compensation.
Taichung’s Juvenile Police Branch head Kao Chia-yang (高嘉陽) said parents and students must be careful to avoid assisting scammers while looking for summer jobs.
They post short-term job advertisements, with good pay for receiving mail, lending out bank accounts, receiving and passing on messages, or taking telephone calls, Kao said.
Victims of such scams can file civil lawsuits to demand compensation for their financial losses, and teenage money collectors and their parents face legal responsibility to compensate the amount, he said.
Additional reporting by Hsu Kuo-chen and Chang Jui-chen
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as