Five employees involved in a corruption scandal involving several procurement staff at three hospitals affiliated to the Ministry of Health and Welfare have been indicted and removed from their positions, the ministry said yesterday.
A computer equipment company’s manager, surnamed Lin (林), had for the past 10 years allegedly bribed six procurement staff and managers with cash, cell phones and drinks with female escorts to win procurement tenders for computer equipment and supplies at three ministry-affiliated hospitals, the Chinese-language Mirror Media magazine reported yesterday.
After a whistle-blower reported the illegal conduct and prosecutors initiated an inspection, Lin confessed to his crimes and agreed to turn state’s evidence, so the case is under judicial review, the report said.
Photo: Wu Liang-yi, Taipei Times
Later yesterday, the health ministry said in a news release that the Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau’s Taichung office on Sept. 20 last year asked Tainan Hospital, Chiayi Hospital and Puzi Hospital for computer equipment and documents for supplies procured from 2012 to last year. It also interviewed personnel associated with the case.
Among the personnel involved, one person was not indicted, while five were and they are now under judicial review, the health ministry said.
Hospital and Social Welfare Organizations Administration Commission Deputy Executive Director Yang Nan-ping (楊南屏) said the three hospitals had launched administrative investigations as soon as they were informed of the case by prosecutors, and reported it to the health ministry.
Three managers were given major demerits and two staff members were given admonitions by the three hospitals’ appraisal committees in December last year, and two of the five indicted employees have resigned, while the others were transferred to posts not related to procurement, Yang said.
The commission has asked the three hospitals to submit a report on their audit mechanisms for small procurements, inter-entity supply contracts and calls for tenders, he said.
The hospitals would also shorten the time between regular job rotations to every two to three years for procurement staff, Yang said.
The hospitals should be responsible for supervision and management, while the health ministry would send inspectors to conduct on-site inspections, he added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated