The Kaohsiung District Court recently fined a man NT$6,000 for leaving a “threatening” note on a vehicle in a dispute over a parking space.
Prosecutors said a man surnamed Teng (鄧) admitted to placing a note in the front windshield wiper of a car parked in Kaohsiung’s Linyuan District (林園) in October last year.
“I have paid rent for this space. If you park your car here, then you should leave your telephone number. It has been two days, and if you have no regard for others, I have no regard for you. One more time, and I will lock up the car,” the note said.
The car belonged a man surnamed Chang (張), who filed a judicial complaint as he believed he had the right to park there, and felt he had received a threat.
Teng told prosecutors that he wrote the note because he was angry that he was unable find the vehicle’s owner.
During the hearing, Teng insisted he was right, refusing to settle with Chang. The court found him guilty of threatening another person’s property and intimidation. Earlier this month, it fined him NT$6,000, with the option of performing community service in lieu of the fine.
Initially, many people online accused the judges of being out of touch for punishing Teng, who had paid for the parking space, saying that Chang should be punished for taking the spot.
However, local media spoke to residents in the neighborhood, and verified the space was actually a public parking space, and Teng had illegally occupied it for long time, claiming it as his own.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated