Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) yesterday asked Taiwan International Ports Corp (TIPC) to quickly remove 110 empty shipping containers stranded near the Port of Kaohsiung before Typhoon Doksuri approaches southern Taiwan today.
The containers were among hundreds that fell into the ocean after the Palau-flagged ship Angel sank on Friday last week while anchored off the Port of Kaohsiung.
Of the 1,349 containers that were on the ship, 776 sank with the ship and 160 sank after floating on the ocean for some time, TIPC data showed.
Photo: CNA
A total of 216 containers have been taken to the Port of Kaohsiung, Yenpu Fishing Port and Nanshin Bay, while 87 sank while being tugged to shore, the state-run company said, adding that 110 containers were stranded on the beach and concrete wave breakers near the Port of Kaohsiung.
“TIPC is now focusing on the 110 containers stranded on the coastal area... They are racing against time and would quickly complete the removal of these containers,” Wang said, adding that the port company was asked to take pictures of each stranded container.
Marine experts said that the sunken ship would not create safety concerns for ships navigating around the area when Doksuri approaches, Wang said.
Rogue waves stirred up by the typhoon would only affect waters about 10m deep, but Angel sank 37m, he said.
The port company said the stranded containers should be completely removed by this morning.
To prevent the shipwreck from causing an oil spill in the ocean, a 720m-long oil-stop line and a 130m-long oil-absorbing cotton rope were set up around the sunken vessel on Friday, the company said.
“Although the ship’s crew had closed the oil valve before abandoning the ship, there was slight oil leakage from the vent hole of the oil tank on the starboard side and the maintenance cover at the stern. The leakage was successfully contained over the weekend,” it said.
Divers were sent to re-examine the hull yesterday, and no leakage of oil or diesel was detected, it said.
The company said that it is scheduled to pump the oil out of the oil tank when weather permits, adding that it would take about one-and-a-half months to complete.
The Maritime and Port Bureau would issue a navigation warning to ships that the area is temporarily closed for anchoring due to the sunken vessel, Wang said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as