China attempting to blockade Taiwan would be a mistake for Beijing, as US-led coalition forces would be able to circumvent it, a former US Department of Defense official said on Friday.
Former US Department of Defense senior director for China, Taiwan and Mongolia Tony Hu (胡振東) said in a media interview that the perception that China could cause Taiwan to collapse by blockading it for three weeks did not reflect reality.
“First, they can’t blockade Taiwan for three weeks,” Hu said in response to a question of how coalition forces would react if Chinese warships and planes surrounded Taiwan to prevent foreign military assistance.
Photo: Reuters
If China conducted a blockade without firing weapons it would still be an act of war under international law and “coalition forces could conduct anti-blockade operations by escorting supplies into Taiwan,” he said.
It would also not make sense for Beijing to use the tactic if its goal is to take Taiwan, he said.
“China hopes to take Taiwan in a quick victory,” and “a blockade is not going to give them a quick victory,” Hu said.
“If China does a blockade, it would give coalition forces so much time to build up and to move forces forward that the chance of them ever winning a conflict with Taiwan would be nil,” he said.
Hu also said that the current lack of joint military exercises between Taiwan and the US is a “hindrance” for Taiwan in preparing for a potential conflict in the Taiwan Strait.
He said he hoped that this would soon change, given provisions passed by the US Congress last year and in 2021 that called for Taiwan-US joint military training.
Even without joint exercises, Taiwan’s military is moving in the right direction by pursuing a joint C4ISR (command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance) platform that is also used by the US military, which would improve the interoperability between the two forces and facilitate joint training, Hu said.
On countering China’s “gray zone” activities — an extension of the Chinese military short of outright military engagement that includes Chinese maritime militias harassing the Japan Coast Guard and chasing Philippine fishing boats away from their fishing grounds — he called for world governments to define who should be considered “combatants” and who should be considered “noncombatants,” a line that China has deliberately blurred.
For example, entities operating under the command of a semi-military organization such as the China Coast Guard should be classified as combatants and responded to accordingly, he said.
Chinese civilian hackers commissioned by Beijing to attack other countries’ financial systems or Internet infrastructure should be regarded and dealt with as combatants, he added.
The world needs to redefine the gray areas that China has been exploiting to gain an advantage over the rest of the world, including the information warfare that it is waging by planting disinformation in the media of other countries, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty