The two-day Taiwan-EU Labor Consultation, which concluded on Friday in Belgium, was focused on Taiwan’s approach to its labor shortage and its employment of migrant workers, Minister of Labor Hsu Ming-chun (許銘春) said.
The consultation was different from previous years, when Taiwanese representatives were more engaged in learning from their European counterparts about labor protection, Hsu said in an interview after the meeting.
However, at this year’s meeting, the EU representatives were very intrigued with Taiwan’s policy of pushing for the employment of older workers to address its labor shortage, she said.
Photo courtesy of the Ministry of Labor
The EU delegates were also interested in Taiwan’s hiring of migrant caregivers to meet rising demand for long-term care of elderly people amid an aging society, she added.
The Taiwan-EU Labor Consultation, launched in 2018, was held in-person this year, with Hsu leading the Taiwanese delegation, after two years of virtual meetings due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The EU delegation was led by Joost Korte, head of the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, the Ministry of Labor said, adding that private European groups were invited to the consultation for the first time.
Korte “focused all of his attention on listening to us and taking notes when we were sharing information about our policies in the meeting,” Hsu said. “They are learning from us,” as Europe is facing a labor shortage in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The European Commission last year put forth an EU Care Strategy to tackle the demand for long-term care of the elderly, and the EU representatives were eager to gain a better understanding of Taiwan’s migrant worker policy, which seeks to address long-term care issues, Hsu said.
Hsu said she told the EU attendees about Taiwan’s initiative of encouraging enterprises to hire more middle-aged and elderly workers to boost the workforce, in light of the labor shortage.
Under Taiwan’s Middle-aged and Elderly Employment Promotion Act (中高齡者及高齡者就業促進法), the term “senior and middle-aged persons” refers to people aged 45 to 65, while the “elderly” means those older than 65.
While many European countries tend to offer tax cuts as a way of addressing the labor shortage, Taiwan provides subsidies to employers who hire middle-aged and elderly workers, Hsu said.
The subsidies are also extended for the employment of women seeking to return to work after leaving the job market for an extended period, she said.
Taiwan does not favor tax cuts, as it already has relatively low tax rates, she said.
The hotel housekeeper employment subsidy policy, which was introduced in May by the labor ministry and the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, will be in force for one year, Hsu said.
If the domestic economy recovers next year, the policy might be terminated, but the tourism industry is unlikely to be affected, she said, adding that employers would lean toward retaining workers in an improving economy.
Hsu said the employment rate in the 55-to-64 age group in Taiwan is below 50 percent, which is low on an international scale.
In terms of long-term care, the labor ministry on Jan. 1 launched a Migrant Workers One-Stop Service Center — the first in Asia — which provides free three-day training for migrant workers before they start work, she said.
Through such training, migrant caregivers can learn more about their rights and benefits in Taiwan, and gain a better understanding of the country’s working environment, she said.
The EU does not have a comprehensive policy on migrant long-term caregivers, and it wants to learn from Taiwan in that area, Hsu said.
Taiwan is seeking to retain its experienced migrant industrial workers and caregivers, as other countries would be eyeing them after they have been trained in Taiwan, she said.
As of the end of May, there were 737,093 migrant workers in Taiwan, 225,301 of whom were domestic and institutional caregivers, up from 223,785 at the end of April, the labor ministry said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as