Former representative to Thailand Chuang Suo-hang’s (莊碩漢) recent resignation was due to sexual harassment allegations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Saturday, confirming media reports.
The ministry’s statement came after local media reported that the 67-year-old Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) member was asked to leave his post in Bangkok, less than a year after he was appointed, due to sexual harassment allegations by someone at the representative office.
When the Presidential Office on Wednesday said that it had approved Chuang’s resignation, the ministry said the envoy did so for “personal reasons,” and his decision was respected.
Photo: Taipei Times file
The Chinese-language United Daily News reported that Chuang allegedly touched his female secretary’s hands while driving to northern Thailand for a business trip in December last year.
Chuang reportedly asked her to meet him in his hotel room during the trip, which lasted a few days, but she declined, the newspaper reported.
The secretary later reported the incident to the representative office, which led to Chuang’s resignation, it said.
The newspaper said that the secretary was not the only victim in the Thailand office.
The ministry confirmed that it received official sexual harassment complaints against Chuang, and has launched an internal probe over the allegations.
The ministry did not disclose who made the allegations, for privacy reasons.
Initial probes confirmed such allegations and the ministry asked Chuang to resign from his post, the ministry said.
The ministry would refer its investigation results to its sexual harassment complaint review committee for further probes before handing out official punishment, it said.
The ministry did not say what kind of punishment Chuang might face, as he was a political appointee and not a career diplomat.
Chuang was named Taiwan’s top envoy to Thailand on June 13 last year, before officially taking up the post in Bangkok on July 31.
Before taking up the post in Thailand, Chuang was the vice chairman of the Taiwan External Trade Development Council.
He had previously served as Cabinet spokesman, deputy minister of the Overseas Community Affairs Council, and a DPP legislator from 2005 to 2008.
He took up the Thailand post to fill the vacancy left by the departure of then-representative Lee Ying-yuan (李應元), who resigned in August 2021 due to poor health.
Neither the Presidential Office nor the foreign ministry have announced who would succeed Chuang.
Chuang yesterday said he would cooperate with the investigation, adding that he hopes the process would allow him to state his account of events.
He held the secretary’s hand to show an affirmation of her good work, Chuang said, adding that she was in his hotel room for no more than five minutes to go through a draft speech.
Chuang dismissed the reports of other representative office staff alleging similar incidents, adding that it is baseless and untrue.
Additional reporting by Lu Yi-hsuan
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and