Imports of Taiwan-grown custard apples would resume with immediate effect, China’s Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) said yesterday, following a halt of about two years.
TAO spokeswoman Zhu Fenglian (朱鳳蓮) said in a statement that the decision to resume imports was made based on a report by Taitung County authorities detailing local farmers’ improved quarantine measures.
Imports were suspended in September 2021, with Chinese customs officials citing “repeated discovery of agricultural pests” in shipments of custard apples from Taiwan.
Photo: Yang Yuan-ting, Taipei Times
Taitung County Commissioner Yao Ching-ling (饒慶鈴) and Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Vice Chairman Andrew Hsia (夏立言), both of whom attended this year’s Straits Forum in Xiamen in China’s Fujian Province on Friday and Saturday, relayed the desire of custard apple growers in Taitung to export their crops to China, Zhu said.
A notice posted by the Chinese General Administration of Customs said that China had approved the registration of 25 orchards and three packing plants, all of which are based in Taitung.
Beijing’s favoritism toward the county is likely a reward for the Taitung County Government sending representatives to the Straits Forum, a central government official said in Taipei, adding that such perks would likely be limited to areas governed by the KMT.
The usual approach of the Chinese Communist Party is to ban imports of a product from Taiwan then funnel positive publicity toward the KMT after it sends a delegation to China to negotiate the lifting of the ban, said another official, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Agriculture and Food Agency Director-General Hu Jong-i (胡忠一) said he hoped China would soon recommence imports of other Taiwanese fruits that have been suspended over pest concerns, such as pineapples and wax apples.
The Council of Agriculture said that Taiwanese agricultural exporters used to rely heavily on the Chinese market, but have been making efforts to develop high-end products for other markets, especially the US and Japan.
In 2018, 23.2 percent of Taiwan’s agricultural exports went to China, but last year that figure fell to 12.9 percent, council data showed.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and