The Ministry of National Defense on Tuesday said that it has been conducting drills in response to recent exercises by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) simulating a blockade of Taiwan and nearby maritime routes.
Recent reconnaissance drills and long-distance patrols by PLA aircraft and ships that passed through parts of the first island chain to the north and south of Taiwan were part of its anti-access and area-denial exercises to practice gaining control of Taiwan proper, the Taiwan Strait, the Bashi Channel and the Miyako Strait, military experts said.
Major General Lin Wen-huang (林文皇), who is in charge of planning at the ministry, told a news conference that the espionage systems of Taiwan’s military have run analyses of potential invasion scenarios, including blockades.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
It has formulated strategies to counter blockades and convoys, and has conducted drills to enhance the military’s capabilities, Lin said.
Ministry spokesman Major General Sun Li-fang (孫立方) told the news conference that the armed forces have been closely monitoring the situation in and around the Taiwan Strait, and have run detailed analyses of the PLA’s combat readiness maneuvers, including its combat readiness patrols.
The ministry has insight into several possible PLA agendas, Sun said, but would not go into details.
The ministry would develop the armed forces’ capabilities to boost combat readiness, he said.
The military said that the nation’s Mirage 2000-5 fighters would remain in service after reports that defense officials were discussing whether to decommission the French-made jets due to their high operation and maintenance costs.
The Mirage fleet meets “availability” and “mission capable” requirements, Sun said, although he did not disclose what the rates were, citing confidentiality reasons.
The military is also awaiting delivery of 66 US-made F-16V jets to meet its air-defense needs, Sun said, reaffirming that the air force is capable of defending Taiwan’s air space with its existing fleet.
Some people have argued that the air force should decommission the French jets, because they have much higher hourly operating costs than F-16s and locally made Indigenous Defense Fighters, Chinese-language media reported.
Spare parts for the Mirage jets are also almost impossible to find, the reports said.
Taiwan purchased 60 Mirage 2000-5s from France in the 1990s and they entered service in 1997.
There have been eight incidents in Taiwan, including six crashes that killed five pilots, involving the jets, with the most recent in March last year.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as