The US has seen “no indication” that the situation in Taiwan warrants a review of its policy of not evacuating private US citizens from areas of conflict, US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said on Monday, but did not disclose whether it was preparing for such a contingency.
The Messenger news site reported that the US government was drawing up evacuation plans for US citizens living in Taiwan, citing three anonymous sources with knowledge of the matter.
One of the sources, identified as a senior US intelligence official, told the Web site that planning had been under way for at least six months, but had “heated up” over the past two months.
Photo: EPA-EFE
Another source said Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has served as an impetus for the planning, by driving a “relook” at what plans are in place.
Asked about the report at a news conference, Kirby said it was not routine US policy to evacuate private US citizens from areas of conflict.
“And there is no indication at this time that current conditions in Taiwan would warrant any reconsideration of that policy,” he said.
Kirby said the US takes seriously its responsibility to ensure the safety of its citizens and personnel abroad, and has “routine procedures in place to make sure that we’re prepared for any type of emergency.”
The Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in Washington said the issue of evacuation planning first came up in March, when Taiwanese media reported about a text message sent to US citizens in Taiwan by the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT).
The AIT at the time said the message was sent after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake and its aftershocks caused widespread damage in Turkey and Syria, to remind US citizens to prepare for any kind of potential disaster.
The Feb. 10 message, which is available on the AIT’s Web site, reminded US citizens that Taiwan is in a “region prone to disasters,” and encouraged them to enroll in the US Department of State registry for citizens living abroad and to have a “go-bag” ready in case of an emergency.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty