Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislative candidate Lin Fei-fan (林飛帆) on Tuesday dropped out of the race following controversy around the party’s handling of a sexual assault allegation last year.
At a news conference called in the afternoon, the former DPP deputy secretary-general apologized for the turmoil caused by the controversy, saying he decided to withdraw from the election to ensure that the focus remains on reform, not politics.
“The outbreak of these incidents represents a long-standing issue in society, but it is also an opportunity to collectively relearn,” he said. “I hope my withdrawal from the election will stop the movement from being disturbed by political attacks and focus attention on systemic reform.”
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
On May 31, a former DPP employee accused Hsu Chia-tien (許嘉恬), then-leader of the party’s Women's Development Department, of ignoring and belittling her report of sexual harassment by a director hired to shoot a video for the party.
The DPP’s Gender Equality Committee conducted an investigation into the matter, and on Friday last week announced it found Hsu had acted inappropriately.
Although the committee found no fault with Lin’s conduct, as it was Hsu’s responsibility to report the incident to him, he told the news conference on Tuesday that he should be held to high standards as supervisor of the department and assume responsibility.
The Sunflower movement leader had announced his bid two weeks ago to represent Taipei’s Zhongshan (中山) and northern Songshan (松山) electoral district.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as