Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Taipei City Councilor Chung Pei-chun (鍾沛君) yesterday said that media personality Lucifer Chu (朱學恒) was exploiting the justice system to whitewash his reputation after he filed for an investigation into himself over her allegations that he sexually harassed her.
Chung on Thursday accused Chu, a political commentator and popular YouTuber, of forcibly hugging and kissing her at a dinner in August last year.
Chu wrote an apology and on Friday suspended his YouTube channel, while saying he would stop appearing in the media and at public events for the time being.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
He yesterday filed a judicial complaint with the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office, seeking an investigation into himself.
However, Chung told a news conference in Taipei that “Chu is playacting to exploit the justice system and deceive the public to gain their sympathy, as he has shown no remorse for his behavior.”
“The pain is still there, and to this day I still have nightmares, and get scared when someone approaches suddenly,” she said. “It still casts a dark shadow over me.”
She said that Chu had made unwanted physical contact with other women at social functions, but they have not spoken out publicly.
In the latest allegation of sexual harassment against a high-profile figure in Taiwan, independent Yunlin County Councilor Chen Fang-ying (陳芳盈) yesterday said that a media figure last year asked her to have sex with him during a social gathering at a KTV.
Chen wrote online that she had to speak up to denounce what she called a brazen act by the person, who she said had spoken on talk shows attacking Chu.
Chen said the incident was a gathering with local politicians and members of the media, and the person, speaking openly in front of other present, asked her twice to have sex with him.
Following her post, people who said they were present at the event identified the person as veteran TV show host and political pundit Chu Kai-hsiang (朱凱翔).
Soon after, Chu Kai-hsiang posted a message online apologizing to Chen.
“Although I don’t remember saying those words ... if Councilor Chen felt [I had done so], then I offer my apology,” he said.
“I shall reflect on gender issues ... and I will fully cooperate, if Chen wishes to file a complaint for a judicial investigation,” he said.
Separately, Wu Nai-teh (吳乃德), a retired Academia Sinica research fellow renowned for his work on democratization and transitional justice, on Friday offered an apology to a woman surnamed Huang (黃), who had said he had sexually harassed her 13 years ago when she was a college student.
Writing on social media on Sunday, she said she wanted to talk about the 2010 experience to speak to others and her past self, after reading so many #MeToo articles.
Huang said she spoke with a senior student who was in the same field as Wu immediately after the incident, but they told her she should let it go.
She later received a call from Wu, who said he was sorry and should not have done what he did to her, she wrote.
Wu said he apologized to Huang and for the torment she has endured over the past 13 years.
Wu said he is resigning from the board of the Taiwan Association for Truth and Reconciliation, an organization he established in 2007 that focuses on transitional justice, and would no longer participate in public affairs because he has lost the public’s trust.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as