The Nantou District Prosecutors’ Office has opened an investigation into sexual abuse allegations against an elementary-school principal by his former students, the office said on Thursday.
The Nantou County Department of Education said it has asked the principal, surnamed Liu (劉), to take a break from his duties and has established an investigation taskforce in accordance with the Gender Equity Education Act (性別平等教育法).
The actions followed accusations by two women on Wednesday that Liu violated them physically when they were in elementary school more than 20 years ago.
Photo: Liu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
Accompanied by Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tsai Pei-hui (蔡培慧), one of the accusers, born in 1985 and surnamed Chuang (莊), told a news conference that she was sexually abused by Liu in the sixth grade while attending afterschool tutoring provided by the teacher.
After the classes, Liu would drive the students home himself, Chuang said.
She said that while driving her home one day, Liu suddenly grabbed her and stopped her from getting out the car, groping and kissing her against her will.
Chuang said she was able to escape and told her parents what happened, but her parents chose to forgive Liu on the condition that he left the school at the end of the semester.
The second accuser, born in 1988 and surnamed Hsiao (蕭), said she was sexually abused by Liu for an extended period when she was in third grade.
Liu tutored her and her first-grade younger sister at their home, Hsiao said.
After a couple of sessions, Liu began asking the siblings to sit on his lap while he taught, she said.
Liu later on started asking her younger sibling to leave the room to get him a glass of water, and used the time to forcibly kiss Hsiao, she said.
The abuse continued for a period of time before Liu progressed to groping Hsiao during their sessions, she alleged.
Hsiao said the last straw was when Liu asked her to get water so he could be alone with her younger sister. Hsiao said she delegated the chore to her sister, took her place and later told her parents what had been happening.
Liu dismissed the accusations, saying they were false.
In other news, Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) on Thursday said that the city is investigating multiple sexual misconduct allegations against a security guard employed by its Parks and Street Lights Office.
Two of the accusers said the security guard, a man in his 60s, engaged in verbal harassment and touched multiple female colleagues without their consent.
The accusers said they had waited until now to come forward as they feared being punished by their supervisors, who they said had repeatedly questioned their intentions and asked them not to approach a Taipei city councilor for help.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as