A surgical robotic arm has been helping doctors at Taipei Veterans General Hospital perform brain surgeries to treat drug-resistant epilepsy.
Taiwan has about 200,000 to 300,000 people with epilepsy, of which 60,000 to 70,000 can only be treated by surgery that removes the condition’s physiological cause — called epileptic focus — from the patient’s brain, Lee Cheng-chia (李政家), a neurosurgeon at the hospital, said on Thursday last week.
Open brain surgery poses a high risk to patients, particularly those with an epileptic focus located deep inside the brain or spread over a wide part of the organ, making it more difficult for surgeons to bypass blood vessels or regions of the brain that govern vital functions, he said.
Photo: Chiu Chih-jou, Taipei Times
The hospital’s robot-assisted surgery system features 3D imaging and a real-time surgical instrument tracking capability, which enables epileptic surgeries to be performed without opening up the skull, he said.
Since receiving the machine in March 2021, the hospital has performed more than 100 successful procedures, Lee said.
Many patients would never have been treated surgically if the robotic arm was not there to mitigate risks associated with the procedure, he added.
Aided by the robotic arm, surgeons can perform a wide variety of procedures, including electrode implantation, deep brain stimulation and biopsy at twice the speed of unassisted surgery, while experiencing less fatigue and reducing chances of making a mistake, he said.
People with drug-resistant epilepsy are usually unable to live a normal life or work, Lee said.
Surgery can cure about 70 percent of patients with drug-resistant epilepsy and reduce the frequency of attacks in 20 percent of patients, he said.
The beneficiaries of the hospital’s robotic system include a 37-year-old man who had suffered from the condition since he was 10, said Yu Hsiang-yu (尤香玉), who heads the hospital’s epilepsy department.
The man faced a bleak prognosis because the epileptic focus was close to the visual cortex, meaning it could not be removed without a significant risk of blindness, she said, adding that the mood of the patient’s medical team was grim.
The surgery was made possible with the hospital’s acquisition of the robotic system, which allowed doctors to precisely target the focus with an electric pulse in lieu of open brain surgery, Yu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as