Vice President and Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) chairman William Lai (賴清德) yesterday encouraged victims of sexual misconduct to speak up, and again apologized to them and the public for the party’s mishandling of such complaints, after a recent spate of allegations by former party staffers.
Reiterating the key reforms he had raised the day before, Lai said the party has a “zero tolerance” policy regarding sexual misconduct.
The DPP would set up an office to take complaints and a mailbox for people who would rather remain anonymous, conduct an internal investigation and provide counseling and legal assistance to victims, he said.
Photo: Su Fun-her, Taipei Times
Former DPP chairman Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) issued an apology on social media.
“I offer my apology to these victims having the courage to speak up about their experiences. Please give the DPP the opportunity to make amends,” said Cho, who led the party from 2019 to 2020.
“I ask all party members to work together with Lai to implement his reforms, and for everyone to learn from these revelations, be prudent in their words and behavior ... [and] strive for our party’s core values,” he said.
President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Friday night wrote on social media that “as a former party chairperson, I should bear full responsibility.”
“I would like to sincerely apologize to the victims [of sexual harassment] and the public,” said Tsai, who served as DPP chairperson from May 2014 to November 2018 and from May 2020 to November last year.
Tsai’s comments followed the exposure of three cases involving alleged sexual misconduct between 2018 and last year, and accusations that mid-level party officials mishandled the complaints.
Meanwhile, an alliance of former Sunflower movement leaders headed by Taipei City Councilor Miao Po-ya (苗博雅) of the Social Democratic Party, and DPP Legislator Lai Pin-yu (賴品妤) yesterday issued a statement offering legal support to victims, while condemning those who had positions of authority and intimidated lower-ranked party workers.
“The justice system must not become a tool to suppress victims who are at an disadvantage. Now that sexual misconduct incidents are in the spotlight, and we will push for real reform, and to create a safer environment for people working in politics,” the alliance said.
Along with Miao and Lai, the statement was signed by others affiliated with the Sunflower movement, including former New Power Party spokesman Wu Cheng (吳崢), DPP Taipei City Councilor Wu Pei-yi (吳沛憶), independent Kaohsiung City Councilor Huang Jie (黃捷), Taipei City Councilor Lin Liang-chun (林亮君) and Miaoli County Councilor Tseng Wen-hsueh (曾玟學).
“We will set up a team of lawyers to assist victims with professional advice, and provide support, for them to fight ... against those who hold power,” the statement said.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as