An accusation of sexual harassment led to the resignation of a top Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) official, while President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has called for a thorough investigation into the incident involving a contractor.
Vice President and DPP Chairman William Lai (賴清德) yesterday said he approved the resignation of DPP deputy secretary-general Hsu Chia-tien (許嘉恬), who headed the party’s Women’s Development Department when the alleged incident happened in September last year.
“Gender equality is among our party’s core values, that we have strived for and advanced along with Taiwanese society,” Lai said. “The DPP did not handle it appropriately at the time, causing more pain for the victim... I apologize to the victim and to society.”
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
After learning about the incident, Lai said he instructed DPP Secretary-General Hsu Li-ming (許立明) to ensure the party undertakes an “open and transparent” investigation, upholding the “zero tolerance” principle.
“We must assess our party’s internal mechanism for filing complaints and reporting rights violations to office superiors. If there is negligence and deficiencies, then we must admit wrongdoing and rectify the problems. We must fully protect the safety of all party members while on duty,” he said.
On Wednesday, a former female staffer at the department wrote online that when filming a video with a contracted media company in September last year, the director made sexual advances and groped her while seated inside a vehicle as the crew returned to Taipei after shooting on location.
She alleged that the male director caressed her on the neck, then groped her chest and shoulder area.
As she was tired after a long day of work, she said that at first she was confused, but she became fearful, adding that he made further sexual advances when they returned to the studio.
After returning, she informed her colleague of the incident and reported it to their office superior Hsu Chia-tien, she said.
Hsu Chia-tien treated her coldly and asked why she did not jump out of the vehicle or scream, the woman said.
The response was negligent and an attempt to sweep the alleged sexual harassment under the rug, critics said.
DPP spokespeople at a news conference yesterday issued a public apology for Hsu Chia-tien’s inappropriate handling of the matter.
An investigation would be conducted and all projects with the video production team would be terminated, they said.
Meanwhile, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫) berated Lai, who is the DPP’s presidential candidate.
“Lai did not face this matter directly, and he must take responsibility and explain to the public how the DPP handled the aftermath of the incident,” he said.
New Taipei City Mayor and KMT presidential candidate Hou You-yi (侯友宜) said that Lai helped cover up the incident, and demanded a public explanation.
“Why did the DPP conceal this case for so long, and through these months, has Lai paid any attention to it?” he asked. “This case concerns Hsu Chia-tien, who covered it up. Did Lai promote her to DPP deputy secretary-general? Does the perpetrator have links with DPP officials?”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as