The mask mandate would be extended next month for three types of venues, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday as it reported that the average daily number of hospitalized COVID-19 cases increased by more than 30 percent last week.
Local COVID-19 cases last week rose to an average of 204 daily hospitalizations, an increase of 32.5 percent from the previous week, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said.
The number of prescriptions for oral anti-viral drugs to treat COVID-19 also increased to 23,503 courses — 17,424 courses of Paxlovid and 6,079 courses of molnupiravir.
Photo: CNA
The average positivity rate from regular tests at residential care facilities rose from below 0.6 percent early last month to 1.5 percent last week, he said.
Guo said that the Omicron XBB subvariant of SARS-CoV-2 accounted for 48 percent of the sequenced local cases last week, becoming the dominant variant in Taiwan, followed by Omicron BA.2.75, accounting for 45 percent.
An analysis of hospitalized COVID-19 cases reported between March 20 and Wednesday last week showed that 4,876 of them were elderly people aged 65 or older, with an average age of 82.
The data showed that 37.8 percent of them were unvaccinated and 61 percent did not take oral anti-viral drugs, while 9.7 percent had died, he said.
The fatality rate from serious COVID-19 complications among elderly people who received one or more booster vaccine dose was lower than among those who were unvaccinated or had only received one or two vaccine doses, Guo said, adding that the trend was particularly prevalent among people aged 85 or older.
“We urge elderly people who have not received a booster shot against COVID-19 to get one and also to seek medical attention when suspected symptoms occur,” he said.
The risk of death from serious COVID-19 complications in elderly people who did not get a booster shot is 1.81 times as high as in those who received one; and 2.11 times of those who did not take oral Paxlovid, compared with those who did.
CDC Deputy Director-General Tseng Shu-hui (曾淑慧) said starting from today, elderly people would be offered a gift of up to NT$500 if they get their first, second or booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
She said that as COVID-19 cases are increasing, and healthcare facilities and healthcare-related institutes have higher infection risks, and senior welfare facilities mostly take care of people who are at a higher risk of severe illness or death, the mask mandate at these venues would be extended after Wednesday next week.
Healthcare facilities include hospitals and clinics; healthcare-related institutes include pharmacies, medical laboratories, medical imaging centers, physical therapy centers, occupational therapy centers, pregnancy clinics, psychiatric rehabilitation facilities, homecare nursing centers; while senior welfare facilities include senior long-term care centers and senior nursing homes.
The mask mandate would be lifted at some venues, including ambulances, other types of long-term care centers, veterans’ homes, child and adolescent protection facilities, and supported care facilities for people with disabilities after Wednesday next week, but masking is still recommended, Tseng said.
Regular COVID-19 testing at residential care facilities would also be extended to June 30, she added.
The CDC yesterday said there were 72,136 hospital visits for flu-like illnesses last week, an increase of 5.2 percent compared with the previous week, and 18 serious flu complications and two flu-related deaths were confirmed last week.
Tseng said the local flu outbreak is expected to continue into next month, so expanded eligibility for anti-flu drugs would be extended until June 30.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as