Taiwan would suspend implementation of a free-trade agreement (FTA) with El Salvador from Monday following a decision by the former diplomatic ally to repeal it, the Executive Yuan said on Thursday.
The suspension of the deal with the Central American nation was proposed by the Ministry of Economic Affairs, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and was passed at the Cabinet’s weekly meeting that day.
The decision was to be sent to the legislature for deliberation, the government said in a statement.
Photo: AFP
Despite the limited effect on Taiwan’s overall trade, Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) instructed the ministries to help Taiwanese businesses explore other markets for their products and procure goods from other countries with which Taiwan has FTAs, Executive Yuan spokesman Lo Ping-cheng (羅秉成) said.
Diplomatic ties between Taipei and San Salvador ended on Aug. 21, 2018, and the Salvadoran Ministry of Foreign Affairs in December last year announced its plan to terminate the FTA it signed in May 2007 with Taiwan and Honduras, the Bureau of Foreign Trade said in a statement on April 6.
The 2018 announcement was challenged in El Salvador, but its government received a favorable final ruling on Nov. 7, 2022, and subsequently announced the end of favorable tariffs on Taiwanese goods.
Taiwan has not received formal notification from El Salvador about its exit from the FTA as stipulated in the deal, the bureau said on April 6, when it announced the plan to suspend the arrangements, 150 days after El Salvador’s unilateral repeal of the agreement.
Exports from Taiwan to El Salvador last year totaled US$81.58 million, or 0.02 percent of Taiwan’s overall exports, while imports from the Central American country totaled US$18.83 million, or 0.004 percent.
The suspension of the deal does not involve Honduras, which also cut diplomatic ties with Taiwan on March 26.
Minister of Finance Chuang Tsui-yun (莊翠雲) told lawmakers on March 29 that the trade agreement is not linked to diplomatic ties.
Minister of Economic Affairs Wang Mei-hua (王美花) told lawmakers the following day that the fate of the trade agreement would be discussed with Taiwan’s foreign ministry.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as