A retired army lieutenant who operates a travel agency in Kinmen County has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for trying to build a spy network for China by targeting Taiwanese military officers.
The Kinmen District Court on Thursday found Shao Wei-chiang (邵維強), owner of Safety Travel Service Co, guilty of contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Banking Act (銀行法).
Shao, 59, had also worked as a TV reporter for 27 years — as the Kinmen correspondent for Taiwan’s China Television Co (CTV) from 1993 to 2019.
Photo: Taipei Times files
He has been operating a travel agency since 1993.
Lured by financial incentives, Shao began working for the Chinese government in 2002 while he was still employed at CTV, Kinmen District Court Chief Judge Huang Chien-tu (黃建都) said.
He tried to recruit military officers to obtain confidential information that he could pass on to China, Huang added.
“Investigators found that Shao had worked for China for 20 years until his arrest last year, and he passed on the Chinese payments to those he had recruited as spies. His case has endangered national security and harmed military morale. The defendant should be heavily punished to deter such behavior,” Huang said.
Shao was found guilty of breaching the Banking Act for conducting illegal money exchanges of Taiwanese and Chinese currencies totaling NT$90 million (US$2.9 million) during his many trips as a reporter and travel operator using the “small three links” between Kinmen and China’s Xiamen.
The ruling also deprived Shao of his civil rights for four years and his NT$2.54 million reward for spying was confiscated.
The ruling can be appealed.
Before he was arrested last year, Shao recruited at least two people as spies, including Kung Fan-chia (孔繁嘉), a reporter for the Ministry of National Defense-run Military News Agency who had access to most military schools, training facilities and military exercises.
The other recruit was former army colonel Hsiang Te-en (向德恩), 50, who was the commander of the Kinmen Garrison Battalion of the Kinmen Defense Command. Hsiang had also served as the deputy commander of the field operations unit in the Pingtung County-based Eighth Field Army Command.
Hsiang was in February sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in prison and ordered to repay the NT$560,000 that he received from his Chinese handlers.
An investigation found that Hsiang had signed a document promising to surrender to the Chinese Communist Party. In a photograph with Shao, Hsiang, in military attire, is seen holding a document pledging his assistance to the Chinese side in the event of an invasion.
For his pledge to surrender to the Chinese side and trying to persuade other military officers to do the same, Hsiang received NT$40,000 a month from Shao, the intermediary, which totaled NT$560,000 over 14 months, a court filing said.
A ruling on Kung’s case is still pending.
The investigation also showed that Shao had tried to recruit at least three other military colonels, but he did not succeed.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as