An Australian exchange student was diagnosed with superwarfarin poisoning, the Taipei Medical University Hospital (TMUH) said yesterday.
The student was in a stable condition and was being treated in a regular ward, it said.
ABC News Australia on Friday reported that Alex Shorey, a 24-year-old exchange student at Tamkang University in Taipei, was fighting for his life after ingesting rat poison.
Photo: Taipei Times file photo
The report cited his aunt Elizabeth Shorey-Kitson as saying that it remained unclear how he ingested the poison, but his family suspected that it was from contaminated street food.
Shorey had been in the hospital since Tuesday last week, it said.
The public broadcaster’s overseas service quoted his brother as saying that when Shorey went to a doctor in Taiwan, “they just essentially thought it was an infection or he had received damage to his arteries. But over the next few days, Alex got worse. He was nauseous and blood started appearing in his urine. My dad thought that’s not normal, and it seemed quite worrying.”
The hospital yesterday issued a statement saying that the student sought treatment for nausea, vomiting, nose bleeding and bloody urine, adding that he also has a coagulation disorder.
A doctor at the hospital initially prescribed vitamin K1 therapy, and tests later confirmed that he had been poisoned with superwarfarin, a vitamin K antagonist used in rat poison, it said.
Shorey developed symptoms indicating an allergic reaction to the treatment and he was transferred to an intensive care unit, the hospital said.
He was on Friday moved back to a general ward after his treatment plan was adjusted, it added.
The hospital said that its doctors had asked the student what he had eaten before the symptoms appeared, and there is no reason to believe that he ingested the poison through street food.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as