A group of Taiwanese chefs have been selected to tour 20 countries across the Americas, Europe and Asia to promote Taiwanese cuisine, the Overseas Community Affairs Council said on Tuesday.
The chefs were recruited to participate in 106 gourmet lectures at 55 locations as part of the International Tour of Taiwan Gourmet Cuisine, touring from next month to October, the council said.
The chefs are to run cooking demonstrations, consult with overseas Taiwanese restaurant owners and visit catering businesses in efforts to promote cultural exchanges and conduct “citizen diplomacy,” it said.
Photo: Lu Yi-hsuan, Taipei Times
The council has organized the tour annually since 2010 to assist catering businesses run by overseas Taiwanese, promote Taiwanese cuisine and enhance Taiwan’s international visibility, it said.
The event is returning to its usual size after being suspended in 2020 and 2021 and downsized last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A chef and an assistant are to work in pairs in nine regions — the western and eastern regions of the US and Canada, the southern US, Central America, South America, Oceania, Europe, Asia-Pacific and continental Asia.
Photo: Lu Yi-hsuan, Taipei Times
Council Deputy Minister Ruan Jhao-syong (阮昭雄) handed letters of appointment to the chefs on Tuesday and wished them well.
The chefs were drawn from across Taiwan for their diverse expertise in Hakka and indigenous cuisines, along with environmentally friendly recipes and food presentation skills.
Tsai Wan-li (蔡萬利), director of the Department of Restaurant Management at Chi-ying Senior High School, plans to demonstrate a recipe that employs cuttlefish balls to complement works by world-champion fruit carver Yang Sheng-kai (楊勝凱) in the US and Canada.
Chang Ko-chin (張克勤), executive chef of indigenous restaurant Badasan, and Hamp Court Palace executive chef Lu Kai-yuan (路凱源) have created a presentation of diverse delicacies, including mullet roe and shrimp marinated in indigenous fermented rice wine, for their tour in the southern US.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as