A survey that checks for COVID-19 antibodies using samples from donated blood is legal, and the randomly selected donors are informed and can opt out, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday.
Some blood donors had questioned whether the survey breaches privacy and should require institutional review board approval, Chinese-language media reported yesterday.
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞), who is also the CECC spokesman, said the center on Feb. 20 announced that it has entrusted the Taiwan Blood Services Foundation to work with the CDC to conduct a COVID-19 serology antibody survey.
Photo courtesy of the Central Epidemic Command Center
The survey is conducted based on the Communicable Disease Control Act (傳染病防治法) and the Regulations Governing the Implementation of the Epidemiological Surveillance and Advance-Alert System for Communicable Diseases (傳染病流行疫情監視及預警系統實施辦法), he said.
The foundation would randomly select 7,000 samples from blood donated from January to June this year, and test for antibodies for the nucleocapsid protein of SARS-CoV-2, which could indicate prior infection, Lo said.
The survey is a legitimate part of routine disease monitoring, not a research project, so it does not need approval by an institutional review board, he said.
The survey has an “opt out” mechanism, he said, adding that donors whose blood had been randomly selected would be informed and have the option to opt out of the testing.
Among the 2,400 blood bags donated in January and February that were selected for the survey, 24 donors chose to opt out, Lo said.
The randomly selected blood samples are anonymized and given pseudonyms before they are tested for antibodies, so the results cannot be linked back to individual donors, who also cannot be informed of the result, he said.
As some people questioned why the center did not inform them beforehand, Lo said the donors are informed before their blood is used for the test.
Not all donors of the more than 1 million blood bags expected to be donated in the six months would be informed, he said, adding that the foundation feared that it might slow down the donation process.
The center is grateful to most of the 2,400 blood donors who were informed about the test and agreed to their blood sample being used, he said, adding that the donations make it possible to monitor the infection situation in local communities as it changes.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as